Total Pages: 3 Words: 956 Sources: 3 Citation Style: APA Document Type: Essay
Essay Instructions: In this assignment, you will review the concluding case study: The New Frontier for Fresh Foods Supermarkets at the end of the chapter, "Managing the Diverse Workforce," and prepare a case study analysis (approximately 3-4 pages). You will need to use additional resources in preparing your report.
Investigate and analyze the company?s origin, history, corporate structure and growth.
Identify the strengths and weaknesses within the company in reference to their diversity initiatives
Identify opportunities and threats within the company?s external environment in reference to their diversity initiatives
What steps can Vivian Noble take to recruit and develop her new workforce?
What other ways can Noble help her company reach out to the community?
How will Fresh Foods Supermarkets as a whole benefit from successfully moving into this new region of the country?
Fresh Foods Supermarkets is a grocery store chain that was established in the Southeast 20 years ago. The company is now beginning to expand to other regions of the United States. First, the firm opened new stores along the eastern seaboard, gradually working its way up through Maryland and Washington, DC, then through New York and New Jersey, and on into Connecticut and Massachusetts. It has yet to reach the northern New England states, but executives have decided to turn their attention to the Southwest, particularly because of the growth of population there.
Vivian Noble, the manager of one of the chain's most successful stores in the Atlanta area, has been asked to relocate to Phoenix, Arizona, to open and run a new Fresh Foods Supermarket. She has decided to accept the job, but she knows it will be a challenge. As an African American woman, she has faced some prejudice during her career, but she refuses to be stopped by a glass ceiling or any other barrier. She understands that she will be living and working in an area where several cultures combine and collide, and she will be hiring and managing a diverse workforce. Noble has the support of top management at Fresh Foods, which wants the store to reflect the surrounding community?in both staff makeup and product selection. So she will be looking to hire employees with Hispanic and Native American roots, as well as older workers who can relate to the many retired residents in the area. And she will be seeking their input on the selection of certain food products, including popular ethnic brands, so that customers know they can buy what they need and want at Fresh Foods.
In addition, Noble wants to make sure that Fresh Foods provides services above and beyond those of a standard supermarket to attract local consumers. For instance, she wants the store to offer free delivery of groceries to homebound customers who are either senior citizens or physically disabled. She wants to be sure that the store has enough bilingual employees to translate for and otherwise assist customers who speak little or no English. Noble believes that she is a pioneer of sorts, guiding Fresh Food Supermarkets into a new frontier. ?The sky is almost always blue here,? she says of her new home state. ?And there's no glass ceiling between me and the sky.?
Excerpt From Essay:
Essay Instructions: Recruiting is the first stage in which organizational plans for staffing come into contact with the labor market for employees. Before making any new recruiting effort, an organization needs to carefully consider the methods available and balance out the costs of each method with the organization’s needs.
You will develop a recruiting strategy and a recruiting guide for the store associate job. The case also demonstrates how you can use organizational data to determine what the best methods for recruiting are. Finally, you will have an opportunity to develop various forms of recruiting messages that will encourage individuals to apply for jobs as sales associates at Tanglewood.
Analyze the information from the recruiting data and prepare a report showing the results of the analysis for your director.
1. Start by developing a recruitment guide like the image I will be sending as a resource. Note that the current situation differs from the example provided because there is no specific timeline for hiring; this is a continuous recruiting effort because even as positions are being filled, new positions are becoming available. It is also different because Tanglewood does not have a specific list of minimal educational requirements as qualifications.
2. Describe the best “targets” for your recruiting efforts by considering the job and organizational context. Evaluate the various methods of recruiting in terms of whether they seem more like “open” or “targeted” recruiting, using the information in the book to help you make this decision. If some methods seem more “targeted,” whom do you think they target?
3. For each division use the data tables provided in Appendix B to estimate how each method fares in terms of yields and costs. Provide a one-page summary of the essential results of the various data tables you have been provided.
4. Northern Oregon has suggested that the other divisions of the company use a policy of using kiosks and staffing agencies rather than using the more “touchy-feely” method of relying on referrals. Does this division have a point? What would the effect of other regions increasing their use of external hiring be?
5. Tanglewood’s top management is highly committed to improving customer service quality, and proposes that simply finding the cheapest way to hire is not sufficient. Besides costs and retention, what other measures of employee performance would be good “bottom line” metrics for the quality of a recruiting method? How might the managerial focus groups’ concerns fit with these alternative considerations?
6. The question of realism in the recruitment policy has been raised in focus groups. Write one paragraph proposals for targeted, realistic, and branded recruiting messages for Tanglewood’s customer store associate positions. What are the traditional arguments for and against using realistic recruiting policies?
Make sure all of the following are covered:
• Case Description/Introduction
• Development of a Recruitment Guide
• Describe the best “targets” for their recruiting efforts by considering the job and organizational context
• Estimate how each method fares in terms of yields and costs
• Northern Oregon’s suggestion for other divisions
• Other measures of employee performance that might be good “bottom line” metrics for the quality of a recruiting method and how the managerial focus groups’ concerns might fit with these alternative considerations
• One paragraph proposals for targeted, realistic, and branded recruiting messages for Tanglewood’s customer store associate positions
There are faxes for this order.
Customer is requesting that (nicolle) completes this order.
Excerpt From Essay:
Essay Instructions: Indian masks dance,Seraikella Chhau dances.Themes
Themes in Chhau dances.Movement Patterns
The third group
The basis of Chhau dances in the martial art 'parikhanda' (pari=shield, khanda=sword) is of special interest. In two other regions of the country, namely Manipur in the northeast and Kerala down south, several traditional and classical forms have their basis in the martial art traditions. In spite of high degree of Stylization, the movements and body postures in Chhau retain strong martial Character. The link with parikhanda is so close that all the dance terminology, which in the local Oriya language and not in Sanskrit, is common with the terminology of parikhanda.
Movements,The conception and design of a mask.
Rituals,To impart a sense of mystery .
Three categories,Three main categories of masks and masked dances are those of the Ramayan tradition, of Buddhist tradition and tribal masks.
Excerpt From Essay:
Essay Instructions: 1. Explain what steps you would take to avoid conflict and misunderstanding with others in the work place, thinking particularly about students and colleagues from other cultures and backgrounds.
2. Identify and list 4 communication skills that may be effective in your school.
3. List the 6 elements that can effect how you send or receive a message.
4. Why are different traditions accepted in your school?
5. Give an example why it is important to share LOTE(language other than English) and/or others' experiences of living in other regions or cultures.
6. Explain the reason for reporting potential problems/ issues rather than waiting for an actual conflict to occur.
7. Who would you approach if you were unsure what steps to take to resolve a problem/ issue?
8. list 3 considerations you would make when planning an "under eights" activity day to ensure effective and socially culturally appropriate outcomes. You may choose another similar type of activity to describe if this question is not appropriate to your situation.
9. Discuss with your supervisor a way in which you have communicated with individuals from diverse backgrounds. Make notes on how this communication supports working in the school environment and assists in avoiding misunderstanding and conflict. Identify some of the communication skills you used.
10. Use an example of a school policy, newsletter or other documentation and discuss with your supervisor how the needs of different groups were met. Clarify how consulting with workplace, stakeholder and community groups ensures effective and socially and culturally appropriate outcomes.
11 Why have computer-based technologies become available to many more people than was previously the case?
12. What technologies have provided an alternative to written books
13. Why is it important to have a strategic plan for implementation of new technology?
14. What factors could influence the choic of new technology?
15. What factors influence productivity and effciency when introducing new technologies to the workplace.
16.The school has asked you to respond to the factors that you would consider when introducing a new technology to your workplace. The new technology may be an application that has recently introduced into your school/classroom. You may use the following questions as headings or not use headings at all if you prefer to use report format.
> What technology improvement is expected?
> What are the associated financial costs?
> How long will it take to implement the use of the new technology?
> How well will existing resources and procedures support the introduction of the new technology and what changes may be necessary?
> What are the benefits and possible wider costs to the work place?
> What policies and procedures will need to be adopted or revised as a result of the introduction of thr new technology?
> What role will you play in the adoption of the new technology?
> What training may be need to be orrganised and for whom will it be necessary?
17. Record an example of how you have used new technology that is currently being implemented in your classroom. New technology may include current programmes such as Microsoft Words, Excel or PowerPoints.
18. Conduct a breif interview with a colleague relating to the fairly recent introduction of a technology resource. After conducting the interview and reflecting upon the information gathered, breifly explain whether the introduction of the new technology resource was appropriate. WHY? Why NOT?
19. Some examples of current changes in technology were staff meetings, professional development, specific recording formats etc. record two of the current changes in technology below and briefly explain:
a) Current change:
b) How this change was shared with colleagues.
c) When and if these changes will be implemented. If not, why not?
d) How the school implemented the change into the classroom and/or school.
20. Discuss the main points listed with your supervisorin relation to the topic:"The impact of technology in your work place". Record the responses collume a "Benefits": colume b "Considerations":and at the bottom your discussion on these topics.
> The current technological changes that apply to the classroom/school
>The impact technology will have on effective work performance within the school
> The changes in equipment and/or technology throughout the school over a period of time
> The effects of technology on current work practices
> The ways of upgrading skills to include the use of new technology
21. Discuss with your supervisor how your workplace may:
>Continually apply informal and/or formal research to update knowledge of any subsequent new technologies that may impact on work practices.
> Monitor current changes in technology and implement those changes when required.
> Share updated knowledge with colleagues as appropriate, and incorporate information into day-to-day work activities.
Explain your notes on the discussion.
Excerpt From Essay:
I really do appreciate HelpMyEssay.com. I'm not a good writer and the service really gets me going in the right direction. The staff gets back to me quickly with any concerns that I might have and they are always on time.
I have had all positive experiences with HelpMyEssay.com. I will recommend your service to everyone I know. Thank you!
I am finished with school thanks to HelpMyEssay.com. They really did help me graduate college..