Total Pages: 2 Words: 669 Sources: 2 Citation Style: APA Document Type: Essay
Essay Instructions: MIC100 - Microbiology
Module 2 CASE ASSIGNMENT
The Centers for Disease Control has contacted you and other microbiologists to review a recent increase in the number of meningitis cases in your city. The director of the organization is requesting information in regards to the various types of microorganisms which can cause meningitis. For the module 2 case assignment:
1. Select one bacterial, one fungal, and one viral pathogen capable of producing menigitis in humans. (three pathogens)
2. Describe the general characteristics and structure of each pathogen.
3. Describe in detail the pathogenenic process for each pathogen. (How does the microbe produce menigitis?)
4. What are the risk factors for infection with each pathogen.
5. What are the common methods used to diagnose infection?
6. Do these pathogens cause any other diseases?
7. List any preventative measures to protect against infection with each microbe.
Note: The assignment will require you to engage in independent research.
Develop criteria for what you believe to be the "key" characteristic of bacteria, viruses, and fungi that must be considered when planning for a bioterrorist threat.
For this case assignment you are to identify a "key" characteristic for bacteria, viruses, and fungi, including structure, that you believe could be critical in understanding if an effective method for confronting a bioterrorist attack on a community is to be developed. The following are the requirements for this case assignment:
-Review the characteristics of bacteria, viruses, and fungi and select one for each type of microorganism. For example, you may want to consider "spore forming" as a characteristic of bacteria, such as anthrax, which may serve to make it a viable bioterrorist weapon.
-Justify your selection of the specific characteristics for the microorganisms selected above. Statements of justification must be factual and logical.
The following items will be assessed in particular:
-Relevance (e.g. all content is connected to the question)
-Precision (e.g. specific question is addressed. Statements, facts, and statistics are specific and accurate).
-Depth of discussion (e.g. present and integrate points that lead to deeper issues)
-Breadth (e.g. multiple perspectives and references, multiple issues/factors considered)
-Evidence (e.g. points are well-supported with facts, statistics and references)
-Logic (e.g. presented discussion makes sense, conclusions are logically supported by premises, statements, or factual information)
-Clarity (e.g. writing is concise, understandable, and contains sufficient detail or examples)
-Objectivity (e.g. avoid use of first person and subjective bias)
Excerpt From Essay:
Essay Instructions: Go to this website: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Look through the a-z index for Meningitis. Or go to www.cdc.gov/health/diseases.htm#m. Task: You will attempt to find if there are any recommendations regarding meningitis and vaccinations for college students. Once you have obtained the information, you will write a comprehensive letter (3 Pages) to the incoming freshman of Neisserian College, educating them about the dangers of meningococcal meningitis.
The premise for your paper is as follows: You have just been hired in the public affairs office of Neisserian College, a private live-in college in Upstate New York. Your first assignment is to write a letter to incoming freshman regarding recommended vaccines. A letter detailing other vaccine recommendations had already been drafted by your predecessor, however, it did not mention the meningococcal vaccine. Here are a few suggestions regarding the details that should be included in this paper:
1. Define meningitis and differentiate viral from bacterial meningitis.
2. Focus on the most severe cause of bacterial meningitis, meningococcal.
3. Present the approximate number of cases of meningococcal disease in the U.S. and its mortality rate. Include the number of cases involving college students.
4. Detail the complications that can result from a meningococcal infection.
5. Describe how meningococcal disease is spread.
6. Describe the symptoms of the meningococcal disease and the rapidity at which they progress.
7. List the time of the year most outbreaks occur.
8. Describe who is at risk of acquiring meningococcal disease.
9. Describe at risk behaviors very commonly expressed by college students that can increase the risk of acquiring meningococcal disease.
10. Describe the available vaccine and what serotypes of the bacterium it will protect against.
11. State if the vaccine is 100% effective and list the cost.
12. Detail the recommendationd of the CDC, ACHA, and the AAP regarding the vaccine.
13. Finally, most healthy young adults usually consider themselves invincible and not at risk of contracting a deadly disease. You need to find a way in the opening paragraph of your letter to get their attention, so that, they will read and pay attention to the entire letter.
Excerpt From Essay:
Essay Instructions: My topic is bacterial meningitis in children and I will attached the rubric
There are faxes for this order.
Excerpt From Essay:
Essay Instructions: Title Page - Not required.
Topic - This 4 page research paper topic is on Meningitis,
Content - Not too much into the biochemistry details but the content must be relevant to microbiology. This paper is for a microbiology class, and should talk about the signs and symptoms, different types of meningitis (may go deeper into each types but only upto a microbiology level), causes, treatments, and prevention.
References - Must be from scientific journals, and absolutely no internet references. Citation of information is extremely important. A reference page is required.
-Signs and Symptoms
-Types of Meningitis (bacterial, viral, fungal)
Excerpt From Essay:
I really do appreciate HelpMyEssay.com. I'm not a good writer and the service really gets me going in the right direction. The staff gets back to me quickly with any concerns that I might have and they are always on time.
I have had all positive experiences with HelpMyEssay.com. I will recommend your service to everyone I know. Thank you!
I am finished with school thanks to HelpMyEssay.com. They really did help me graduate college..