Essay Instructions: ***Please Ivywriter*****
Discuss the characterization of Ichabod Crane in Washington Irving's short story The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and in Tim Burton's film Sleepy Hollow.
All essays must have a Bibliography in which primary texts are correctly cited. Some use of critical material is also expected in the essay and this must also be cited.
Page numbers essential
ps just copied the above straight from our work room
Excerpt From Essay:
Essay Instructions: 4 pages plus works
cited page in MLA format. Use "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow," "Rip Van
Winkle," and another story to show how he uses borrowed material. Use at
least 1 textual quote and 1 critic quote for each story.
Excerpt From Essay:
Essay Instructions: Annotated Bibliography
1. BIBLIOGRAPHIC INFORMATION in MLA style (Modern Language Association).
Author’s last name, first name. BOOK TITLE. City of Publication:
Company name: original publication date
2. BRIEF IDENTIFYING INFORMATION ??" e.g. ISBN; no. of pages; reading level; genre; illustration style; unique format; main theme or issues; awards
(you choose which info bits to include)
3. BRIEF SUMMARY OF THE CONTENT??" e.g. IN YOUR OWN WORDS, 3-5 sentences or phrases.
For picture books, include notes on illustrations and, if applicable, unique book format & construction.
4. BRIEF ANALYTICAL COMMENTS
* some harsh language & unusual idioms
* background historical notes needed for yng readers/listeners
* fine foundation for social studies unit
* excellent theme of acceptance of differences
* details in the illustrations help to tell the story
* colors match the mood of the story --- illustrations change from harsh to soft as the characters get closer to home
* some images might be frightening to the youngest readers
4. FIVE or more brief ideas which can be developed into active-learning lessons for classrooms or libraries.
* interview grandparents regarding their memories of….
* explore websites on Guatamala to learn about the setting of…
* create display of art work and clothing from the Renaissance
* find recorded music to accompany a reading of the book
* collect display items about life in a large city
* investigate other poems about cats and put together a collection
* create mini-graphic novels based on similar short stories
* devise posters to “advertise” books to the rest of the school
* discuss pro’s and con’s of graphic novel format
* design puppets for each animal character
* practice and perform the song provided at the end of the book
* invent new endings to the story and share these aloud
* make tissue-paper birds for a window-display about the book
Begin with ACTIVE verbs indicating what the students will do to learn: WRITE, RESEARCH, MAP, CALCULATE, CREATE, ENACT, SING, PRETEND TO BE, DRAW, MOVE, DANCE, READ ALOUD, SHARE, DECORATE, PREDICT, DEBATE, VIEW, LISTEN, COMPARE......
• Swan Song by J. Patrick Lewis
• Rudyard Kipling by Eileen Gillooly
• Once I was a cardboard box…..but now I’m a book about Polar Bears by Anton Poitier
• Rycycling things to make and do by Emily bone and Leonie Pratt
• Garbage and Recycling by Sally Morgan and Rosie Harlow
• Buddy Unchained by Daisy Bix
• Henry & the Buccaneer Bunnies
• Where’s My Mummy? By Carolyn Crimi
• Giraffes Can’t Dance by Giles Andreade and Guy Parker-Rees
• The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams
• Berlioz the Bear by Jan Brett
• The United States Of America by Millie Miller and Cyndi Nelson
• We’re Off To Find The Witch’s House by Mr. Krieb
• Cinderella retold by Barbara Karlin
• Who wants a cheap Rhinoceros? By Shel Silverstein
• Freedom Like Sunlight/ Praise songs for Black Americans by J. Patrick Lewis
• Blackbeard the Pirate King Several Yarns detailing the LEGEND, MYTHS, And REAL-LIFE ADVENTURES of History’s MOST NOTORIOUS SEAMAN told in verse by J. Patrick Lewis ISBN # 5857 (hardcover) 5864 (library binding)
• The Legend of Sleepy Hollow adapted from the original by Washington Irving
with oil paintings by Russ Flint ISBN# 6035 Copyright 2008 by Ideals Publications
• Monumental Verses by J. Patrick Lewis
• A Wreath For Emmett Till by Marilyn Nelson
• A World of Wonders by J. Patrick Lewis
• Scien-Trickery by J. Patrick Lewis
• Arithme-Tickle by J. Patick Lewis
• It’s a Spoon, Not a Shovel by Caralyn Buehner
• Bats by Sally Morgan
• Sunken Treasure by Debbie Levy
• Stonehenge by Catherine M. Petini
• Stars Twinkle by Carole Stott
• Daniel Radcliffe by Katherine Rawson
• The Jonas Brothers by Katherine Rawson
• Howard B. Wigglebottom Learns to Listen by Howard Binkow
• David Mortimore Baxter by Karen Tayleur
• The Magic School Bus Chapter Book THE GIANT GERM by Anne Capeci
• The Black Stallion’s Ghost
• The Buffalo Hide Tipi Of the Sioux
• Crazy Horse’s Vision by Joseph Bruchac
• When God Made the DAKOTAS by Tim Kessler
Excerpt From Essay:
Essay Instructions: Be sure you - Write a minimum of 500 words.
Write a minimum of 4 - 5 paragraphs.
Write a controlled thesis - central idea - in one sentence. This single sentence is always the last sentence in your introduction. Please have Title Page and double-space the essay.
Washington Irving: "Rip Van Winkle" or another classic Irving Tale. For example, "The Devil and Tom Walker," "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow," or a personal favorite - "The Spectre Bridegroom."
James Fenimore Cooper: The Pioneers
Be sure to discuss underlying meaning and not just the sequence of events or plot summary!
Consider the following slants which could be part of your analysis:
the uses of Romanticism
the implications of historical situations
the different versions of the American dream
the casting of the American woman as the villain
the use of characterization
the nature vs civilization
Excerpt From Essay:
I really do appreciate HelpMyEssay.com. I'm not a good writer and the service really gets me going in the right direction. The staff gets back to me quickly with any concerns that I might have and they are always on time.
I have had all positive experiences with HelpMyEssay.com. I will recommend your service to everyone I know. Thank you!
I am finished with school thanks to HelpMyEssay.com. They really did help me graduate college..