Essay Instructions: Social Sciences: Women and Social Change in the United States, 1890 to Present
The following are the guidelines for your paper on Southern Horrors and Other Writings.
Ida B. Wells clearly established herself as a catalyst for social change. She became a firm advocate for African Americans throughout the United States,
especially in the South. Her focus for social change became a major campaign to stop lynching in the United States. For this paper I want you to analyze the factors that made Ida B. Wells so successful in fostering social change.
You may want to answer the following questions in your paper:
1. What is lynching and why was/is it occurring? What impact did lynching have on relations between different regions (ie. North and South-look at the pictures on pages 42-45 for clues as well)?
2. What role did Ida B. Wells take in changing this social issue? How was she able to succeed in bringing this issue to the national level? What relationship did Ida B. Wells develop with women's rights advocates and other African American groups?
3. What impact did Ida B. Wells and her campaign against lynching have on the United States? Why is this important?
Please use specific examples from the book to demonstrate the points you make. Be sure to cite your work properly.
I will be sending resources to
Excerpt From Essay:
Essay Instructions: The Scientific Method-Theory, Methodology, & Human Development
*Not a research paper or project*
The task asks for you to justify a research question, also known as a substantive question, of your own choosing and three research problems, which are methodological. Then the task asks you to summarize the scientific method as used in the natural sciences, and then repeat that summary but for the social sciences using your research topic as the example. Analyze a selected topic from a social scientific perspective by doing the following:
A1: SUBSTANTIVE QUESTION Paragraph 1
• Explain the significance of a suitable question, which you have formulated, for social analysis.
• Choices for topics: human psychological development, personality, social interaction, social identity, social classes, or the psychology of group behavior.
• Take things that we assume are true and prove you are right or wrong.
• It must be a question that can be examined methodically and systemically and does not have an immediate evident answer.
How to Phrase the Question:
• *Do not use WHY questions*
• Start question with, “How does………….……….”? OR Suggest an answer and a question put together, (i.e. “Is it true that ………...because…………..”?
• Narrow question to be more specific: “Cause” (independent variable) “Effect” (dependent variable or outcome)
A2: THREE METHODOLOGICAL QUESTIONS Paragraphs 2, 3, 4
Analyze and discuss THREE specific research method problems (i.e., subordinate questions) that will help answer the social scientific question that you have formulated.
a. Explain the social scientific analysis required for each of the three research problems.
*Please refer to attached JPEG document: Pg. 16, Table 1 “Common Methods of Social Science Research”, to choose your three research methods.*
EXAMPLES OF POSSIBLE QUESTIONS
“What methods (e.g., interviews, opinion polls, etc.,) should be used to gather data on………..?” Where will the data come from? What research design to use?
For example, Question: “What research design to use”?
Answer: Sample survey. Then explain what a sample survey is, and how it applies to the specific research question.
Try suggesting answers and discuss the relative merits or demerits of each, such as describing who you would like in your sample and why, or why you prefer one design (experiment, survey, etc.) over another, or how you might go about measuring the dependent variable.
A3: THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD IN THE NATURAL SCIENCES Paragraphs 5, 6, 7
Consider the extent to which your chosen topic question can be examined by the application of the scientific method by doing the following:
a. Discuss and summarize the scientific method as understood in the natural or physical sciences.
*Please refer to attached JPEG documents for information:
pp 5-9 “The Scientific Method”*
1. Choose a topic: Here use a natural science example simply to illustrate all the individual steps in the method. A good place to get an idea of questions for natural science is: www.sciencedaily.com
e.g. “Biology with cells or Chemistry with chemicals”.
b. Compare the research methods required for your formulated question (from part A2a) to the scientific method as understood in the natural or physical sciences (from part A3a).
1. Repeat the same summary of the scientific method, but apply to your chosen topic as the illustration.
c. Discuss whether a social science perspective must rely on the scientific method in the same way that natural or physical science would.
1. Highlight the differences between application of the method between the social and natural sciences, e.g. “The primary difference is the subject of study, people versus cells or chemical and so forth, and specific methods used”.
CONCLUSION: Paragraph 8
Should include a well-reasoned response to the following question: To what extent does a social scientific perspective rely on methods drawn from the physical and natural sciences?
Perry, J. A. and Perry, E. K. (2009). Contemporary society: An introduction to social
science (12th ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson Custom Publishing
There are faxes for this order.
Excerpt From Essay:
Essay Instructions: Why are the social sciences governed by a system of rules? Why is methodology and application important in our pursuit to understand human behavior? How can statistics help to explain social facts? Does common sense play a factor in exploring human beings? Explain.
Excerpt From Essay:
Essay Instructions: How does research assist us in proving/disproving a theory in the social sciences and what are some of the positive/negative concerns with conducting a study?
Excerpt From Essay:
I really do appreciate HelpMyEssay.com. I'm not a good writer and the service really gets me going in the right direction. The staff gets back to me quickly with any concerns that I might have and they are always on time.
I have had all positive experiences with HelpMyEssay.com. I will recommend your service to everyone I know. Thank you!
I am finished with school thanks to HelpMyEssay.com. They really did help me graduate college..