Total Pages: 4 Words: 1555 Bibliography: 6 Citation Style: APA Document Type: Essay
Essay Instructions: Each answer should be approximately 200-250 words. Make sure that you answer the question completely. Your answers should be cohesive essays.
1. Discuss and explain the various types of social norms. What role does the dominant culture play in establishing norms?
2. What is the role of time and place in defining crime? How are social norms related to our understanding of crime? Give one example of something that is not a crime in the US today that was at one time considered a crime? What were the social changes that contributed to the changing of the definition in your example?
3. Define the family. How has our definition of the family changed over time? Based on Daniel Cere?s arguments (Human Rights and the Family), is the definition of the family driven by political needs or by the needs of individuals?
4. What is meant by ?fragile families?? What is the biggest challenge that families face today when attempting to socialize their children to be upstanding citizens?
5. Discuss the difference between Social Control Theories and Self Control theories. Pick one of the theoretical approaches (either Social Control OR Self Control) and discuss how the parents contribute to the socialization of children.
Excerpt From Essay:
Essay Instructions: Research Paper
Compose a well-organized research paper with an introduction, body paragraphs, and a conclusion. Assignment should be 1200 words, typed and follow APA guidelines. You should draw on at least three scholarly sources (e.g. academic journal or book).
Please note that the bullet points are merely guidelines or suggestions. You are NOT expected to address each and every question outlined below. Focus on the main sections (bolded) and use the questions to guide your analysis. You are also not limited to these points ??" you may expand on other ideas not listed.
Social media and the Internet have transformed our social landscape and the ways in which people interact with each other and the extent to which we have increased access to information. In this option, you will examine how social norms and attitudes have transformed as a result of the “Information Age.”
(BOLDED) Choose a social media platform (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, etc.)
• What are the social conventions of your chosen platform?
• How do people interact and share with each other (e.g. pictures, text, symbols, etc)?
• What unique features of the chosen platform enable new ways of interacting?
(BOLDED) Discuss how social interaction via social media differs from face-to-face interaction.
• Is the way people present themselves online different from how we perceive them in reality?
• Discuss the potential consequences of a societal shift to an increasing reliance and presence on social media?
• How does ‘social media’ enable people to manipulate how people perceive them?
(BOLDED) Consider the potential dangers and future consequences of creating digital profiles of ourselves on the internet.
• Examine the role of targeted marketing (e.g. the use of social media sites for advertising).
• How might the information put on social media be misused or misinterpreted (e.g. cyber-bullying, by future employers, marketing companies, etc).
• Find an example in the news (past or present) of an issue involving social media and/or other communication over the internet. Assess the extent to which this issue is a result of social media interaction.
• Consider the steps we might take in monitoring and protecting the information about ourselves on these sites.
Please read all the requirements of this assignment carefully and complete it by March 20th/13 . You must add at least 3 scholarly sources such journals, books etc..
Excerpt From Essay:
Essay Instructions: Investigate a social norms approach for reducing college alcohol consumption. What do social norms programs involve? How successful have social norms programs been in reducing college alcohol consumption? Include any additional information that you think is interesting or important pertaining to social norms programs. Write a one-page, double-spaced paper. The paper should include a paragraph summary of the factual information that you investigated and a paragraph summarizing your personal reaction to what you learned by completing the inquiry. A minimum of two resources are required for each exercise.
Excerpt From Essay:
Total Pages: 2 Words: 696 Works Cited: 1 Citation Style: MLA Document Type: Research Paper
Essay Instructions: Violating Social Norms
The Asch study showed that many people will give in to the majority opinion even if that opinion conflicts with their own beliefs. Social forces are very powerful and most people feel uncomfortable going against them. There are many social norms, and most of us readily adhere to them. Some people may think that they are different and that violating a social norm wouldn?t bother them.
Your task is to violate some minor social norm and to report about it. Below are some examples that you might consider. You don?t have to use these examples, but if you do not never violate the rights of other people.
1. Go into a store, or board a bus and sing out loud.
2. Wear a tuxedo or fancy dress to McDonalds.
3. Stand too close to someone in a line, or sit too close to someone in a restaurant.
4. Sit in an empty chair at an otherwise occupied table.
5. Wear your PJs to your local neighborhood convenience store.
6. Stand facing the rear of an elevator with people in it.
7. Ask a person on a bus or train if you can have their seat.
These are only examples. You can be creative and think of your own. If you want to use your own idea, please check with me first.
After you ?violate? the norm (and you may want to do this more than once) you will write a two to three page paper in which you:
1. Describe the social norm you violated and where it was violated.
2. Describe the reactions of others.
3. Describe your own reactions to violating the norm.
4. Relate your observations to information in your text and/or other published scholarly works.
Should be written in APA format and style (you do not need an abstract).
Excerpt From Essay:
I really do appreciate HelpMyEssay.com. I'm not a good writer and the service really gets me going in the right direction. The staff gets back to me quickly with any concerns that I might have and they are always on time.
I have had all positive experiences with HelpMyEssay.com. I will recommend your service to everyone I know. Thank you!
I am finished with school thanks to HelpMyEssay.com. They really did help me graduate college..