Total Pages: 3 Words: 1017 Sources: 1 Citation Style: APA Document Type: Essay
Essay Instructions: Poetry Analysis on literary analysis on And the Sun Still Dared to Shine. In this paper, you will select one common theme and then choose three poems and demonstrate how they reflect that selected theme. Since you are using three poems to discuss one theme, make sure that you keep the number of QUOTES used for EACH poem as equal as possible for balance in your paper. Since a poetry explication/analysis requires numerous quotes to demonstrate your point, I am not going to limit the number of quotes. You must, however, remember three important points: (1) every quote must be followed up with analysis that relates the quote back to the thesis and point of the plan of developement, (2) each poem must be treated equally in depth of analysis, and (3) the paper must be FULL three page. The paper must be in Times New Roman Font, double spaced, 12 Font size, and proper citation for poetry.
Excerpt From Essay:
Essay Instructions: Poetry:
1. Sidman and Prange. Song of The Water Boatman (Pond Poems).
Cowing, Sue. Fire In The Sea.
Bruchac, Joseph. The Earth Under Sky Bear’s Feet: Native American
Poems of the Land.
1. My reflections regarding poetry? Why or not?
What has been your response to poetry and/or the students in your charge, and what do you think influenced such responses?
2. Poetry is meant to be seen on the page AND read aloud. Choose a poem from the anthology you read for this class. First, analyze how its look on the page --- its font, the layout, the illustrations that accompany it. Then read it aloud, first to yourself and then to someone else, and analyze the effect of the poem ??" your response to it --- according to how it sounds. (Consider the items authors choose from on the “Lit Techniques and Elements” posted earlier in the term).
3. Find and analyze TWO songs w/lyrics --- these may be types or genre identified above, and/or holiday songs, hymns and spiritual songs, or patriotic. MAKE SURE THEY ARE TWO DIFFERENT GENRE. How might you present these as poetry to children or teens? You don’t need to write out the entire “poem” but provide enough examples from the two poems to indicate how you might convince the students that these are “cool”.
4. Find minimum one poetry website for kids --- one you think is “quality”” -- where students can share post original work. Provide the url and a brief summary. AND find a quality website which provides educators with teaching ideas and/or resources. (You might look for one which describes how you might do a “poetry slam” for a library night).
5. Find out about the national poetry laureates from at least 5 of the US Presidents. Provide a summary of who, when, why, and what they did. Name some of the poets and poems these “voices of our nation” presented to the public and even wrote during they held their positions. AND see if you can identify at least 3 other countries with similar honorary positions.
Excerpt From Essay:
Essay Instructions: POETRY ESSAY INSTRUCTIONS
you will write a 750-word (about 3?4-pages) essay that analyzes 1 poem from the Poetry Unit. Before you begin writing the essay, carefully read the guidelines for developing your paper topic that are given below. Review the Poetry Essay Grading Rubric to see how your submission will be graded. Gather all of your information, plan the direction of your essay, and organize your ideas by developing a 1-page thesis statement and outline for your essay as you did for your Fiction Essay. Format the thesis statement and the outline in a single Word document using current MLA, APA, or Turabian style (whichever corresponds to your degree program). The Poetry Essay must include a title page (see the General Writing Requirements), a thesis/outline page, and the essay itself followed by a Works Cited/References page of any primary or secondary texts you cite in the essay.
Guidelines for Developing Your Paper Topic
Chapter 40 in your textbook provides some helpful pointers for reading poems, taking notes, brainstorming, developing a clearly-defined thesis statement, preparing an outline, writing a cogent literary analysis of a poem, and citing your sources. This chapter specifically addresses Robert Frost?s ?Design,? which is studied in this course, so be sure to read it before doing any further work for this assignment. Also, take notice of the example of a poetry thesis and outline on pp. 1,385?1,386.
Choose 1 of the poems from the list below to address in your essay:
? The Lamb? or ?The Tiger? or ?The Chimney Sweeper? by William Blake.
? ?Batter my heart, three-personed God,? or ?Death Be Not Proud? by John Donne (watch the video lecture on John Donne?s ?Batter my heart? for more ideas to help you write your essay on this poem).
? ?Journey of the Magi? by T. S. Eliot.
? ?God?s Grandeur? or ?Pied Beauty? or ?Spring? by Gerard Manley Hopkins.
? ?Ode on a Grecian Urn? or ?Ode to a Nightingale? by John Keats.
? ?Ozymandias? by Percy Bysshe Shelley.
? ?My Last Duchess? by Robert Browning (watch the video lecture on Robert Browning?s ?My Last Duchess? for more ideas to help you write your essay on this poem).
? ?Sailing to Byzantium? by William Butler Yeats.
? ?The Road Not Taken? or ?Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening? by Robert Frost
? ?It Sifts from Leaden Sieves? or ?There?s No Frigate Like A Book? by Emily Dickinson (Read Gilbert and Gubar?s ?The Freedom of Emily Dickinson? for more ideas to help you write your essay on Dickinson?s poetry).
? ?Ulysses? by Alfred Lord Tennyson
? ?That Time of Year? (Sonnet 73) by William Shakespeare (watch the video lecture on William Shakespeare?s ?Sonnet 73? for more ideas to help you write your essay on this poem).
Consider the following questions for the poem that you have chosen:
? What is or are the themes of the poem?
? Is there a literal setting or situation in the poem? What lines from the poem tell the reader this information? What details does the author include?
? Is the setting symbolic?
? How would you describe the mood of the poem? What elements contribute to this mood?
? Is the title significant to the poem?s content or meaning? How?
? What major literary devices and figures of speech does the poet use to communicate the theme(s)?
? How are rhyme and other metrical devices used in the poem? Do they support the poem?s overall meaning? Why or why not?
? Is the identity of the poem?s narrator clear? How would you describe this person? What information, if any, does the author provide about him or her?
? Does the narrator seem to have a certain opinion of or attitude about the poem?s subject matter? How can you tell?
NOTE: These questions are a means of getting your thoughts in order when you are collecting information for your essay. You do not need to include the answers to all of these questions in your essay; only include those answers that directly support your thesis statement.
Excerpt From Essay:
Essay Instructions: Poetry
“Landscape with the Fall of Icarus”
Author: William Carlos Williams
Write an essay on a symbolic allusion used within the poem. Include an outline.
Allusion: Unacknowledged reference and quotations that authors make while assuming that readers will recognize the original sources and relate their meanings to the new context.
Excerpt From Essay:
I really do appreciate HelpMyEssay.com. I'm not a good writer and the service really gets me going in the right direction. The staff gets back to me quickly with any concerns that I might have and they are always on time.
I have had all positive experiences with HelpMyEssay.com. I will recommend your service to everyone I know. Thank you!
I am finished with school thanks to HelpMyEssay.com. They really did help me graduate college..