Assignment should be 2 1/2 to 3 pages only. Teacher is very specific. I prefer 2 1/2 pages if possible. I need to turn in an outline with my assignment. Can that be provided? Is it extra $$. Please respond..
Assignment -Biographical crititcism "The Family of Little Feet" by Sandra Cisneros
Instructions on assignment
In your second research writing assignment, you will be engaging in biographical criticism to learn more about the writer and its connection to his/her literary work. Biographical criticism emphasizes the belief that literature
is created by authors whose unique experiences shape their writing and therefore can inform our reading of their work. Biographical critics research and use an author’s biography to interpret the text as well as the author’s stated intentions or comments on the process of composition itself. The argument here is this: knowledge of an author’s biography can surely help readers interpret or understand a text.
You will choose a writer as the focus of your research. Whichever writer you choose, the assigned literary work will automatically become your primary source. Your purpose is to uncover details of the writer’s life, decide which are most important and influential, and make connections between the writer and his/her work. You will be expected to provide a very short summary of the literary work, and then move into the research aspect of this assignment. First, who is the writer? What should we know about this particular person? Where does he/she come from? What makes up his/her background? Finally, what connections do you see between his/her writing and life?
Criteria for MWA #2:
• The paper must be written from 3rd person point of view.
• The paper must be 2 ½ - 3 pages in length.
• You must have 3 sources: one primary and two secondary sources.
• You must have one (and only one!) long quotation. Your long quotation may come from primary or secondary source.
• You must adhere to correct MLA guidelines
• You must have a Works Cited page! It will be considered your 4th page.
• You will lose an automatic 10 points for not following correct MLA in the research paper.
• Acceptable sources: I encourage you to use the Del Mar databases for academic and trustworthy sources. You will not receive credit for unreliable sources.
Unreliable sources will be discussed in class. MWA #2:
The Writer and the Literary Work ??" GETTING STARTED
Please begin this assignment by reading the assignment description.
This time, instead of focusing solely on the literature
, we will consider who the writer is as well ??" how does this change our understanding of the literary work?
This type of theory is called biographical criticism. Make sure you read the full definition under the assignment description!!
Biographical criticism states the following: knowledge of an author’s biography can surely help readers interpret or understand a text.
The following is a detailed outline of what I expect to see in the essay:
Original Title (this is a must!)
Introductory paragraph ??" include the author’s name, title of the literary work, and your thesis statement ??" your focus is biographical criticism!! Put all this together in the first paragraph.
Sample thesis statement: In the following biographical critique of Alice Walker’s “Everyday Use” a reader will see clear connections between Walker’s background and the details of her writing within the short story.
Notice that the PURPOSE of the writing is mentioned in this thesis statement: it is a BIOGRAPHICAL CRITIQUE. What will be explored in this critique? Details of Walker’s background ??" meaning her life, personal history, etc ??" and the details found within her short story.
Use the sample thesis statement as a start for your own ??" model it, change it up, add your twist….but whatever you do, your thesis statement should be clearly stated in the introduction!
1st body paragraph ??" a short summary of the literary work in your own words (no longer than 6-8 sentences); you can quote the primary source within this summary paragraph ??" quote it once!
2nd, 3rd (and so on) body paragraphs ??" this is where you will focus on the biography of the writer you have chosen. Everyone may organize this section of the essay differently. Use the following as guiding questions:
Who is the writer?
Where does he/she come from?
What makes up his/her background?
What is important to know about this writer?
What important events happened to them in their lifetime?
· It is this section of the essay in which I expect to see the secondary sources worked in. You must have two secondary sources. The information you find should have contain biographical information about the writer that you can work into your essay. Again, you must establish balance between your words and the words of others.
Final body paragraph (before you get to your conclusion) ??" Please answer the following:
What connections do you see between his/her writing and his/her life?
Concluding paragraph - Why is this literary work important? What is its importance to us and society
? What is its place? Why should we continue to read it? These are the questions to focus on at the end of your essay
· Acceptable sources: I encourage you to use the Del Mar databases for academic and trustworthy sources. You will not receive credit for unreliable sources. Unreliable sources will be discussed in class.
Primary and secondary sources:
Primary source: our textbook-Literatrue And Society
: An introduction to Fiction, Poetry, Drama, Nonfiction-fourth edition by Pamela J. Annas and Robert C. Rosen, pages 72-75 New Jersey: Pearson/Prentice Hall, 2007.
Sandra Cisneros. “The Family of Little Feet.” Literature
. 4th ed. Eds. Pamela J. Annas and Robert C. Rosen. New Jersey: Pearson/Prentice Hall, 2007. 72-75. Print.
TO GET ON WEBSITE FOR SECONDARY SOURCES: 1) www.delmar.edu
2) click "Academics" then "Library"
3) click "Online resources"
4) click "by subject"
5) click "english, literature
, and philosophy"
6) click "literary criticism online"
7) username: delmar
8) basic search "sandra cisneros"
9) sandra cisneros (1954) short story criticism - #1 secondary source
"Sandra Cisneros (1954-)." Short Story Criticism. Ed. Anna Sheets. Vol. 32. Detroit: Gale, 1999. 1-53. Literature
Criticism Online. Gale. Del Mar College. 27 March 2010
#2 secondary source - Sandra Cisneros, in contemporary authors
Repeat steps 1-5, click "Gale Literary Databases", author name "Sandra cisneros" , click "sandra cisneros, "in contemporary authors.(a profile of the authors life and works)
Robin Jones "Cisneros, Sandra" The Oxford Companion to Women's Writing in the United States. Cathy Davidson and Linda Wagner-Martin. Oxford University Press 1995. Oxford Reference Online. Oxford University Press. Del Mar College. 26 March 2010
[ Order Custom Essay ]
[ View Full Essay ]