Essay Instructions: Please answer each question (one page each) listed below. Use at least one or two reference for each question. Also list the reference list at the end of each question instead of the end of the report. If possible use the reference listed below as often as possible. Write the question, then answer.
Carrell, M. R., & Heavrin, C. (2010). Labor relations and collective bargaining: Cases, practice, and law (9th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
First time used.
(Carrell & Heavrin, 2007)
If a direct quote.
(Carrell & Heavrin, 2007, p. x).
1. What do you believe are the benefits to being an employee of a company vs. a contractor? Which would you prefer to be? Why?
2. Compare and contrast the factors that might contribute to employees’ voting to decertify a union.
3. Do you believe employee elections regulated by the NLRB are successful? Why or why not? Please explain your answer.
4. Discuss the difference between an employer’s support of and domination of a union.
5. Do you think negotiations in the public sector are more or less challenging than negotiations in the private sector? Why?
6. The right to strike is one of the rights made available to employees expressly provided by the National Labor Relations Act. Do you believe that striking against a company is a good way to promote collective bargaining? Why or why not?
7. Distinguish among mandatory, permissive, and illegal bargaining subjects. Give examples of each.
8. Describe how interest based bargaining is different from other techniques.
9. Why do employees today place such a high priority on paid time off? Do you feel that companies are fair in their offerings for vacation/personal/sick time? Why or why not?
10. Explain the difference between profit-sharing plans and COLAs. Do you believe profit-sharing plans or COLAs are more beneficial to employees? Defend your answer
11. During the past decade, employers and unions have moved away from the concept of Cost-of-Living Adjustments (COLAs) to Profit Sharing and Incentive style plans. Differentiate between the different styles of plans and defend or argue against the move to the new style plans.
12. Which negotiated benefits are most important to you? Draw up an ideal benefits package ??" which items would you include? List in order of importance.
Excerpt From Essay:
Total Pages: 6 Words: 1862 Sources: 5 Citation Style: MLA Document Type: Research Paper
Essay Instructions: HRM Employee and labor relations
Assignment 1: To Organize or Not to Organize?
Select a company headquartered in your home state for which you would like to work ? but one that does not currently have unionized employees. Assume you are an employee of this company interested in starting a union. You have started the research process and made connections with the larger union over the industry for the company type.
1.Create a scenario of the specific working conditions that has prompted the attention of employees.
2.Describe the benefits of organizing a union for this particular company.
3.Create a mission, purpose, and objective statement for a strategic plan to organize a union for this group.
4.Outline the components you would need to take to start a union and sketch ideas for each step of the process.
5.Determine a possible timeline for the execution of the union based on the plan you drafted with rationale.
6.Speculate the management teams? objections the union is likely to face. Develop one (1) argument to counter the management position and evaluate its strength in light of the opposition.
Use at least five (5) quality academic resources in this assignment
Excerpt From Essay:
Essay Instructions: -Define unions and labor relations and their effect on organizations.
-Examine the effect of changes in employee relations strategies, policies, and practices on organizational performance.
-Answer the following question: Are unions still relevant in the United States?
-Provide 3 references viewable by public access online.
Excerpt From Essay:
Total Pages: 7 Words: 1935 Works Cited: 6 Citation Style: MLA Document Type: Research Paper
Essay Instructions: Assignment 2: Labor Relations
Use the Internet to research a publicly traded U.S.-based company with a focus on its labor negotiating practices and any specific labor-related issues the company may be experiencing. You can use Ford, GMC, or Chrysler. Each questions below is to be used as the opening sentence to start off the paragraph, and then proceed with research information.
Write a six to eight (6-8) page paper in which you:
1. Discuss the company?s stance toward labor and any specific labor-related issues it may be experiencing. Thoroughly discussed the company?s stance toward labor and any specific labor-related issues it may be experiencing.
2. Formulate a strategy for negotiating a labor agreement and dealing with potential impasses in the bargaining process. Thoroughly formulated a strategy for negotiating a labor agreement and dealing with potential impasses in the bargaining process.
3. Analyze the principle economic and administrative issues addressed during collective bargaining with your labor force and develop a bargaining position. Thoroughly analyzed the principle economic and administrative issues addressed during collective bargaining with your labor force and thoroughly developed a bargaining position.
4. Recommend policies and procedures to administer a labor contract and resolve disputes. Thoroughly recommended policies and procedures to administer a labor contract and resolve disputes.
5. Determine the most likely interest dispute and determine how you could leverage economic pressure to help resolve that dispute. Thoroughly determined the most likely interest dispute and thoroughly determined how you could leverage economic pressure to help resolve that dispute.
6. Based upon your understanding of the entire course, predict the next evolutionary step in labor-management relationships (in terms of laws, key participants, or union organization) and how that step will affect the company you researched. Thoroughly predicted the next evolutionary step in labor-management relationships (in terms of laws, key participants, or union organization) and how that step will affect the company you researched.
7. Use at least three (6) quality references. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not quality as academic resources. Exceeds number of required references; all references high quality choices.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
? Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions. Cite all reference in essay using APA format and reference must be APA formatted.
? Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student?s name, the professor?s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
? Analyze the actions of unions and management to determine basic compliance with the major U.S. federal labor laws.
? Explain the process for organizing and for decertifying unions.
? Formulate a strategy for negotiating a labor agreement and dealing with potential impasses in the bargaining process.
? Analyze the principle economic and administrative issues addressed during collective bargaining and develop a bargaining position.
? Develop policies and procedures to administer a labor contract and resolve disputes.
? Use technology and information resources to research issues in labor relations.
? Write clearly and concisely about labor relations using proper writing mechanics.
Excerpt From Essay:
I really do appreciate HelpMyEssay.com. I'm not a good writer and the service really gets me going in the right direction. The staff gets back to me quickly with any concerns that I might have and they are always on time.
I have had all positive experiences with HelpMyEssay.com. I will recommend your service to everyone I know. Thank you!
I am finished with school thanks to HelpMyEssay.com. They really did help me graduate college..