Using the text book An Introduction to Fiction by X.J.Kennedy and Dana Gioia (10th edition). You will have to answer questions about the following stories: Gabriel Garcia Marquez, "The Handsomest Drowned Man in the World", Nathaniel Hawthorne, "Young Goodman Brown", James Joyce, "Araby", Joyce Carol Oats, "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?" and Tillie Olsen, "I Stand Here Ironing
. Fill in the blanks with short explanations/answers. You may extend the lines, if necessary, without being wordy.
1. Three specific instances of irony in ?Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been? are:
2. In ?Young Goodman Brown,? a) Brown represents _________________________________________________________
b) the forest represents ________________________________________________________
c) the peeling, cacophonous sounds represent ________________________________________________________
3. Explain the mother?s attitude towards Emily in ?I Stand Here Ironing
?; what specific EVIDENCE supports your position? _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________
4. Dystopia is the opposite of utopia, a perfect world. Name two different stories that show characters whose personal worlds are dystopias. Why? Explain your answer.
5. In ?Araby,? explain the mood and description of the opening setting; explain Joyce?s purpose in this scene.
6. Define ?Magic Realism? in your own words; explain how Gabriel Marquez uses it [or not] in his ?The Handsomest Drowned Man . . . .? ____________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
7. Define ?chiaroscuro? and explain how & why two authors have used light and shade in two recent stories. ________________________________
8. The theme of hypocrisy emerges through the INNER CONFLICTS of characters in two stories: a)______________________why?____________________________
Please note: This test will not be returned!
DO NOT USE THE SAME STORIES REPEATEDLY!
Do not repeat the plot?we have read these stories!
1. Each essay must be at least 250+ words, with specific citations for any idea borrowed from external sources.
2. Provide specific examples / details citing textbook page references in parenthesis, using various literary elements and Glossary Terms [bold /highlight the terms]
3. THREE  essays are required; you must answer the first question + any two below:
II. Essay Questions: THREE [20 Points EACH= 60 Points] + 10 Points for Grammar and Sentence Clarity [Total 70 Points].
1. **Explain the use and purpose of ?journey? theme in three stories.
2. Without summarizing / repeating the plot, explain the evolution of [different techniques used in] the short story form using at least three of the stories?from different eras you have read this term. Consider, for example, how different authors have infused various techniques to change short fiction from the simple plot-based story.
3. Without repeating the plot of the stories, Compare/contrast the dysfunctional nature of three women characters.
4. Apply mythological criticism to two stories read during this term [Do not use the same stories as for the research paper]. Note: Mythological Criticism is covered in Kennedy & Gioia 725-28
[ Order Custom Essay ]
[ View Full Essay ]