Essay Instructions: Topic:
"I Stand Here Ironing" by Tillie Olsen
Discuss the nature of the mother-daughter relationship and how it is reveled in the story.
4 page text
12 point font
work cited page
Retitle the essay with your own title.
Excerpt From Essay:
Essay Instructions: The essay thats needs to be written is from the Longman Literature and Culture Series it is titled Literature, Class and Culture. It is an anthology composed by Paul Lauter and Ann Fitzgerald. The topic is very general so you can choose from any one of these following stories or excerpts. The essay can be persuasive, argumentative, analytical or compare and contrast whichever you prefer most.Here is a list of the topics:
The Ax-Helve by: Robert Frost
Bobbie by: David Budbill
A mistaken charity by: Mary Wilkens Freeman
South of the Slot by: Jack London
I stand here ironing by: Tillie Olsen
Barrio Boy by: Ernesto Galarza
From the group by: Mary Macarthy
The Children by: John Cheever
As Children Together by: Carolyn Forche
3 A.M. Kitchen my father talking by: Tess Gallahger
Visiting my father in Florida by: David Citino
Digger Goes on vacation by: Jim Daniels
The Lesson: Toni Cade Bambara
Yale: Reflection on Class in New Haven by: Lynda Glennon
Money and Luck by: Robert Coles
Off from Swing Shift by: Garrett Hongo
Galveston Bay by: Bruce Springsteen
The essay should have a clear theme, be well organized. It is recommended that a secondary source reflective of the theme be incorporated in the essay and cited in standard format. When writting the essay try not to use to much repitition and go into in depth analysis.
Ps I look foward to using your service again
Excerpt From Essay:
Essay Instructions: Using the text book An Introduction to Fiction by X.J.Kennedy and Dana Gioia (10th edition). You will have to answer questions about the following stories: Gabriel Garcia Marquez, "The Handsomest Drowned Man in the World", Nathaniel Hawthorne, "Young Goodman Brown", James Joyce, "Araby", Joyce Carol Oats, "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?" and Tillie Olsen, "I Stand Here Ironing"
I. Fill in the blanks with short explanations/answers. You may extend the lines, if necessary, without being wordy.
1. Three specific instances of irony in ?Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been? are:
2. In ?Young Goodman Brown,? a) Brown represents _________________________________________________________
b) the forest represents ________________________________________________________
c) the peeling, cacophonous sounds represent ________________________________________________________
3. Explain the mother?s attitude towards Emily in ?I Stand Here Ironing?; what specific EVIDENCE supports your position? _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________
4. Dystopia is the opposite of utopia, a perfect world. Name two different stories that show characters whose personal worlds are dystopias. Why? Explain your answer.
5. In ?Araby,? explain the mood and description of the opening setting; explain Joyce?s purpose in this scene.
6. Define ?Magic Realism? in your own words; explain how Gabriel Marquez uses it [or not] in his ?The Handsomest Drowned Man . . . .? ____________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
7. Define ?chiaroscuro? and explain how & why two authors have used light and shade in two recent stories. ________________________________
8. The theme of hypocrisy emerges through the INNER CONFLICTS of characters in two stories: a)______________________why?____________________________
Please note: This test will not be returned!
DO NOT USE THE SAME STORIES REPEATEDLY!
Do not repeat the plot?we have read these stories!
1. Each essay must be at least 250+ words, with specific citations for any idea borrowed from external sources.
2. Provide specific examples / details citing textbook page references in parenthesis, using various literary elements and Glossary Terms [bold /highlight the terms]
3. THREE  essays are required; you must answer the first question + any two below:
II. Essay Questions: THREE [20 Points EACH= 60 Points] + 10 Points for Grammar and Sentence Clarity [Total 70 Points].
1. **Explain the use and purpose of ?journey? theme in three stories.
2. Without summarizing / repeating the plot, explain the evolution of [different techniques used in] the short story form using at least three of the stories?from different eras you have read this term. Consider, for example, how different authors have infused various techniques to change short fiction from the simple plot-based story.
3. Without repeating the plot of the stories, Compare/contrast the dysfunctional nature of three women characters.
4. Apply mythological criticism to two stories read during this term [Do not use the same stories as for the research paper]. Note: Mythological Criticism is covered in Kennedy & Gioia 725-28
Excerpt From Essay:
Total Pages: 3 Words: 940 References: 0 Citation Style: MLA Document Type: Research Paper
Essay Instructions: The stories "A Rose for Emily"- William Faulkner and " I stand here Ironing"- Tillie Olsen feature characters whose curcumstanes make them difficult to like. Nonetheless, authors mange to create reader empathy for these challenging characters. Illustrate through direct reference the different ways in which their authors have elicited sympathy for conventionally unpeasant characters.
No directy citations. I would like the same writer as paper number A#2024219
Excerpt From Essay:
I really do appreciate HelpMyEssay.com. I'm not a good writer and the service really gets me going in the right direction. The staff gets back to me quickly with any concerns that I might have and they are always on time.
I have had all positive experiences with HelpMyEssay.com. I will recommend your service to everyone I know. Thank you!
I am finished with school thanks to HelpMyEssay.com. They really did help me graduate college..