American Fact Finder, (2013). Retrieved March 2013. From U.S. Census. gov.
Blixen, C.E., Singh, A., & Thacker, H. (2006). Values and beliefs about obesity and weight reduction among African-Americans and Caucasian women. Journal of Transcultural
Nursing, 17(3), 290-297.
Bopp, M., Lattimore, D., Wilcox, S., Laken, M., McClorin, L., & Swinton, R. et al. (2007).
Understanding physical activity participation in members of a Black church. Health Education Research, 22(6), 815-826.
Campinha-Bacote, J. (2009). A cultural Competent Model of Care for African-Americans.
Urology Unsing, 51.
City-Data.com. (2013). Crime in irvington by year. Retrieved from http://www.city-data.com/city/Irvington-New-Jersey.html
DeSimone, E.M. (2009). Nonpharmacological Approaches in the Management of Hypertension.
Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practioners, 189-192.
Douglas, J.G., Bakris, J.L., Epstein, M., Ferdinard, K.C., Ferrario, F., & Flack, J.M. et al.
(2003). Management of high blood pressure in African-Americans. Journal of American
Medical Association, 163, 525-541.
Garvin, J.R. (2007). Building cultural Competency for improving Diabetic Care. The Journal of Family Practice, 516-517.
Giger, J.N., Appel, S.J., Davidhizar, R., & Davis, C. (2008). Church and spirituality in the lives of the African-American community. Journal of Tran cultural Nursing, 19, 375-383.
Glutsu, M., & Tovin, M. (2010). African-American women and physical activities. Physical Therapy Reviews, 406.
Hawkins, B. (2007). African-American Women and obesity. Journal of African-American
Heckler, B.E., Lambert, J., Leventhal, E., Leventhal, h., Jahn, E., & Contrada, R.
Commonsense illness beliefs, adherence behavior, and hypertension control among
African-Americans. Journal of behavioral Medicine, 391.
Huges, B.M., & Siobhan, H. (2009). Social Support reduces resting Cardiovascular Function in women. Anxiety Stress & Coping, 537-538.
Kressin, Nancy, R., Wang, Fel,, Long, Judith,, Bokhour, Barbara, G., Orner, Michelle, B.,
Rothendier, James,, Reddy, Surekha,, & Kazak, Waldemar, (2007). Hypertensive
patients' race, health beliefs, process of care, and medication adherence. Society of General Internal Medicine, 768.
Kulkarni, J. (2004). Food, culture and diabetes in the United States. Clinical Diabetes, 22(4) 190-
Livingston, I.L. (Ed.). (2004). Black American Health (Vol 1). Westport, CT: Praeger
Middleton, J.L. (2009). A proposed new model of hypertensive treatment behaviors in African
Americans. Journal of the National Medical
Association, 101(1), 12-17.
Moulton, S.A. (2009). Hypertension in African-Americans and Its Related Chronic
Diseases. Journal of Cultural Diversity, 165.
Paschal, A.M., Lewis, R.K., Martin, A., Shipp, D.D., & Simpson, D.S. (2006).
Evaluating the impact of a hypertension program for Blacks. Journal of the National Medical
Association, 98(4), 607-615.
Parker, M. (2008). Building partnerships with Black and White churches to promote good old age for all. The American Society on Aging, 32(2), 38-41.
Rankins, J., Sampson, W., Brown, B., & Jenkins-Salley, T. (2005). Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) intervention reduces blood pressure among hypertensive
African-American patients in a neighborhood health care center. Journal of Nutrition
Education and Behavior, 37(5), 259-264.
Shobha, R., Cherukuri, M., & Mayo, H. (2007). What is the best treatment of hypertension in African-Americans? Journal of Family Practice, 56(2), 149-151.
Taylor, R.J., Lincoln, K.D., & Chatters, L.M. (2005). Supportive relationships with church members among Black Americans. Family Relations, 54(4), 501-511.Township of Irvington (2013). Retrieved from Township of Irvington. March,
1. Maes M, Mihaylova I, Kubera M, Ringel K. (2011). Activation of cell-mediated immunity in depression: Association with inflammation, melancholia, clinical staging and the fatigue and somatic symptom cluster of depression. Progress in Neuropsychopharmacology & Biological Psychiatry. Accepted for publication Sep 16.
2. Kuo PL, Pu C. (2011). The contribution of depression to mortality among elderly with self-reported hypertension: analysis using a national representative longitudinal survey. Journal of Hypertension. Accepted for publication Sep 19.
3. Ito K, Hirooka Y, Matsukawa R, Nakano M, Sunagawa K. (2011). Decreased Brain Sigma-1 Receptor Contributes to the Relationship between Heart Failure and Depression. Cardiovascular Depression, Accepted for publication Sep 29.
4. Salerno SM, Jackson JL, Berbano EP. (2005). Effect of oral pseudoephedrine on blood pressure and heart rate: a meta analysis. Archives of Internal Medicine. 165, 15, 1686-1694.
5. Kim SO, Choi HS, Kim YJ, Kim HS, Hwang IS, Hwang EC, Oh KJ, Jung SI, Kang TW, Kwon D, Park K, Ryu SB. (2011). Impact of nocturia on health-related quality of life and medical outcomes study sleep score in men. International Neurological Journal, 15, 2, 82-86.
6. Laumann EO, Kang JH, Glasser DB, Rosen RC, Carson CC. (2008). Lower urinary tract symptoms are associated with depressive symptoms in white, black and Hispanic men in the United States. Journal of Urology, 180, 1, 233-240.
7. Chapple CR, Montorsi F, Tammela TLJ, Wirth M, Koldewijn E, Fernandez EF. Silodosin Therapy for Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms in Men with Suspected Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: Results of an International, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo- and Active-Controlled Clinical Trial Performed in Europe. European Urology, 59, 3, e5-e14.
8. Horvath K, Jeitler K, Siering U, Stich AK, Skipka G, Gratzer TW, Siebenhofer A. (2008). Long-term Effects of Weight-Reducing Interventions in Hypertensive Patients. Archives of Internal Medicine, 168, 6, 571-580.
9. Houston MC, Harper KJ. (2008). Potassium, Magnesium, and Calcium: Their Role in Both the Cause and Treatment of Hypertension. The Journal of Clinical Hypertension, 10, 7, 3-11.
10. Ghandehari H, Kamal-Bahl S, Wong ND. (2008). Prevalence and extent of dyslipidemia and recommended lipid levels in U.S. adults with and without cardiovascular comorbidities: The National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2003-2004. American Heart Journal, 56, 1, 112-119.
11. Trajkovi? G, Star-evi? V, Latas M, Lestarevi? M, Ille T, Bukumiri? Z, Marinkovi? J. (2011). Reliability of the Hamilton Rating Scale for Depression: A meta-analysis over a period of 49 years. Psychiatry Research, 189, 1, 1-9.
12. The Seventh Report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure (JNC 7). (2003). Hypertension. 42, 1206.
Basic Facts about High Blood Pressure. Retrieved 28 October 2002, from Lifeclinic.com. Web site: http://www.lifeclinic.com/focus/blood/whatisit.asp
Laragh, John H. (1991). Hypertension. In World Book Encyclopedia (Vol. 9,-page 460). USA: World Book Inc.
McCann, Dervilla M. (2001). The History of Hypertension: Not a Modern Day Phenomenon. Retrieved 28 October 2002, from Dr. Donnica.com. Web site: http://www.drdonnica.com/guests/00002086.htm
Varona, Blecenda. (1999). Healing Wonders of Diet: Effective Guide to Diet Therapy. Manila: Philippine Publishing House.
Weston, Trevor. (1993). The All Colour Guide to First Aid and Family Health. Malaysia: Marshall Cavendish Ltd.
Appel, L.J. (2009). Another major role for dietary sodium reduction: Improving blood pressure control in patients with resistant hypertension. Hypertension, 54(3), 444-446.
Baggish, a.L., Weiner, R.B., et al. (2009). Impact of family hypertension history on exercise-induced cardiac remodeling. American Journal of Cardiology, 104(1), 101-106.
Chummun, H. (2009). Hypertension: A contemporary approach to nursing care. British Journal of Nursing, 18(13), 784-789.
Forman, J.P., Stampfer, M.J., et al. (2008). Diet and lifestyle risk factors associated with incident hypertension in women. Journal of the American Medical Association, 302(4), 401-411.
Humbert, M., Saggan, R., et al. (2009). Pulmonary hypertension. Seminars in Respiratory
and Critical Care Medicine, (4), 367-369.
Lhotta, K., Janecke, a.R., et al. (2009). A large family with a gain-of-function mutation predisposing to atypical hypertension. Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, (8), 1356-1362.
Masterson, K.L., et al. (2007). Hypertension and its effects on the family. Journal of the American Health Organization, (45), 345-356.
Schoenthaler, a., Ravenell, J., et al. (2007). Lifestyle changes and blood pressure control: A community-based cross-sectional survey. Journal of Clinical Hypertension, 11(7), 391-399.
Trudel, X., et al. (2009). Masked hypertension: Difficult blood pressure measurement methodology and risk factors in a working population. Journal of Hypertension, (8), 1560-1567.
Wright, J.M., et al. (2009). First-line drugs for hypertension. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, (3), 1469-1475.