I guess this would be considered a book report. Concentrate on genocide and Neighbors by Jan Gross.
This paper asks you to contemplate one of the most tragic events in human history: Genocide. Our principle text for this topic is the book Neighbors by Jan Gross. Whereas Wealth of Nations and Communist Manifesto are primary sources (original sources from the time period), Neighbors is considered a "secondary source," or a source written by an historian, composed some years after the event it analyzes.
In Neighbors, Jan Gross grapples with the mass slaughter of the Jewish population in a small village during WWII. When it was initially published, the book generated condemnation and controversy, for the perpetrators of murder were not Nazis, but average Polish citizens, people who had lived along side their Jewish neighbors for centuries.
The topics for this paper are relatively open, although you can bounce off ideas below to develop your thesis, or can combine all topics into one paper. The main requirement is that you use Neighbors as the center of your interpretation, and integrate at least two additional sources.
The paper should be five pages, 12 point font, and fully cited....WITH FOOTNOTES (unlimited)
1) Consider the book Neighbors as a "case study" of genocide. What does the book tell us about the nature of genocide? What motivates one group of people to kill another?
2) Consider the relationship between war and human morality. Does war change our moral compass? Why? How?
3) Why was this book so controversial? How does it change our views of genocide?
4) Can Genocide be prevented?
5) If you have knowledge about another case of genocide, you may compare and contrast the case of Neighbors; just be sure to keep the book central to your analysis and to shore up your analysis with outside research (i.e. do not rely on a fuzzy memory).
ALL THESE TOPICS DO NOT HAVE TO BE INCLUDED IN THE PAPER, THEY ARE JUST SUGGESTIONS
Each paper should address clearly who was responsible for the killings in Neighbors, and what motivated the killers to slaughter innocent victims.
Explore your own ideas---just make sure that you support these ideas with research. Look for sources in:
1) The USA Library!
2) UN Definition of Genocide, "Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide," http://www.un-documents.net/cppcg.htm
3) The Holocaust Museum
AGAIN, THESE SOURCES ARE NOT REQUIRED, JUST SUGGESTED.
Note: last time I ordered an example paper from you, it was five days late past its due date. Please try to complete it before the date selected, if at all possible. the last one was very helpful when writing my own paper.
[ Order Custom Essay ]
[ View Full Essay ]
Dallaire, Romeo. Shake Hands With The Devil: The Failure Of Humanity In Rwanda. Carroll & Graf/Avalon, 2005
Gross, Jan T. Neighbours: The Destruction of the Jewish Community at Jewabne, Poland.Princeton University Press, 2002 .
Kissinger, Henry. Diplomacy. London: Simon & Schuster, 1995
Steiner, George. "Poland's willing executioners." The Guardian. April 08, 2001. http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2001/apr/08/historybooks.features (accessed April 23, 2013).
The Atlantic. "World War II: The Holocaust ." Oct 16, 2011. http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/10/world-war-ii-the-holocaust/100170 / (accessed April 23, 2013).
(The Atlantic 2011)