Essay Instructions: Assignment: Prepare a critical biography on an historical figure listed here: Henry VIII of England
Requirements: The paper will be 8 complete typed pages of text in length, double-spaced, with one-inch margins. A minimum of FIVE solid sources is required (excluding standard reference works such as encyclopedias and textbooks. Products such as Microsoft Encarta are considered encyclopedias in a computerized form).
Content of Paper: A critical biography MUST include all five of the following important features:
1. Thesis Statement: In the first paragraph of the paper clearly state what will be proven in the paper about the subject. Present an opinion or argument on the topic. Some questions to consider in developing a successful thesis statement: Why is the topic important to history? How did this person change history? Why was this person chosen? Why does this person interest history?
2. Facts: Identify Henry VIII by giving the important background and detailed biographical information.
3. Analysis: Show how the facts presented relate to the thesis. Include individual interpretation and opinion of the topic. Prove the thesis by analyzing the facts.
4. Internal Documentation: Cite the sources throughout the paper to substantiate the argument and give the reader references for additional information. Cite the source of all direct quotes, paraphrased opinion of other authors, and unusual or controversial facts. Use MLA format to cite sources. At the end of the material cited, simply put in parentheses the last name of the author and the page number.
5. Works Cited Page (Bibliography): Use MLA format to list a complete reference citation for the sources used to write the paper.
Excerpt From Essay:
Essay Instructions: Research in more detail the Reformation and society's move from a strong faith in religious beliefs to the development of the philosophy of humanism.
Using the information you find from this research, write a research paper on Henry VIII and explain how he helped the growth of England as a country. Also include his or attitudes toward literature and the writers of the 16th Century? Did he do anything to support the literary world?
What part did he play in the developmemt of English literature?
SPECIFICATIONS FOR EITHER OPTION
Acceptable Length: 5
Use double line spacing in the document.
Paper should include:
Clearly Defined Topic
Clearly Stated Thesis
Insightful,Thoughtful Analysis of Topic
Extensive Use of Quoted Material to Support
Substantially Free of Major Grammar, Mechanical, and Spelling Errors
Correct use of MLA Documentation
This is a online course and realiable intranet rescoures should be used.
http://www.luminarium.org/renlit/rentext.htm this is one of the site we used in class
Excerpt From Essay:
Essay Instructions: This should be a biographical outline of King Henry VIII.
Here are some of the other specifications.
The only acceptable notation system for these papers is the endnote system. Do not place notes at the bottom of the page or in parentheses inside the text (MLA style). The citations in your paper must be numbered (do not repeat numbers) and correspond to the list of numbers in the section of the paper entitled “Endnotes.” You must cite the appropriate required works and all outside sources often and where relevant to the thesis and main points of your paper.
The History Department requires that you use the University of Chicago style of footnote notation. Purchase a copy of Kate Turabian, et.al., "Manual for Writers of Term Papers, Theses, and Dissertations." It is a more accessible footnote guidebook than the hefty "Chicago Manual of Style" text. Remember to take advantage of an excellent resource: the UMUC Guide to Writing and Research. S
Note: The website provides you with the exact methods for citing its material. Please read this carefully.
2. Format your work to ensure margins are one inch on all sides and that the text is double-spaced. Indent the first line of each paragraph and do not space four times between paragraphs. In the upper right hand corner of page one,put your Name, Class number, section, and the Date. [You will be surprised how many students forget to write their names!] In the center, place a title. Use 12 point Times New Roman font. NUMBER YOUR PAGES AT THE TOP OF EACH PAGE. Do not use a blank front page. Sometimes, I print out your papers and do not want to waste any more trees than I must.
3. Block quotes or lengthy citations should be kept to a minimum, if used at all, and be equally indented from both side margins. A minimum of 3 sources must be used besides the textbook. Online sources are fine but make sure they are valid sources.
If you use non-English words, put them in quotes or italicize them, and go to the "symbols" section of Word and apply the proper accents.
Adhere to the rules of English grammar. Proper sentence and paragraph structure are essential. Write in the active voice and the past tense. Avoid the verb "to be." Use strong action verbs. Do not use contractions (e.g. don't). Do not use slang words or colloquial expressions (the fickle finger of fate). Avoid the use of the personal pronoun "I," or the use of "one", "we," or "you." Check the noun (subject or object) reference. Who is the "they" in your sentence? Avoid presentism. Give the past a chance. Describe and analyze the events or people of the past without imposing contemporary standards. Avoid the use of the words "very" and "interesting." Remember: write an objective history paper, not a subjective, personal piece. Provide references and details for your ideas.
Excerpt From Essay:
Essay Instructions: Instead of doing a simple commentary on "A Man for All Seasons" directed by Fred Zinnermann I would like to explore more about Sir Thomas More aka Saint Thomas More (he was canonized in 1935) as well as review the film. More is probably best known for his confrontation with King Henry VIII, for which he lost his life. He was also a statesman as well as a political and social philosopher who was loved by his family and was respected by the common man.
I also feel that the essence of the film is true to history and captured the spirit of More; there were a few elements that were completely fictional much like the recent film "Lincoln" directed by Steven Spielberg. For the most part "Lincoln" is historically accurate and perfectly captures the spirit of Abraham Lincoln. However any Historian who specializes in the American Civil War and/or the Lincoln Administration will point out the several scenes that were completely fictional.
Ultimately I feel that "A Man for All Seasons" was a great film.
Excerpt From Essay:
I really do appreciate HelpMyEssay.com. I'm not a good writer and the service really gets me going in the right direction. The staff gets back to me quickly with any concerns that I might have and they are always on time.
I have had all positive experiences with HelpMyEssay.com. I will recommend your service to everyone I know. Thank you!
I am finished with school thanks to HelpMyEssay.com. They really did help me graduate college..