Total Pages: 4 Words: 1350 Sources: 1 Citation Style: APA Document Type: Essay
Essay Instructions: must use the book: Narrative of Frederick Douglass. Beford St. Martin?s Press
Paper Length: 4 pages
Write a paper answering the questions in one of the following topics below. You must choose one of the
specific topics listed below and answer the respective questions using examples from the Douglass book.
Choose ONE of the following topics:
1. Douglass? Views on Humanity and Slavery. Douglass maintains that slavery dehumanized
both the slave and slaveholder. Using the Douglass book, support his statement or disagree with
it. Douglass defines freedom as more than escape from the slaveholders. What is freedom
according to Douglass and how does he achieve it?
2. Manhood and violence. How does the concept of manhood factor into the Douglass
autobiography? What effect does slavery have on his desire to achieve manhood? What role, if
any, does violence play in his life? Is there a connection between violence and manhood in his
You will be graded on:
Organization- Does the paper have an introduction, body, and conclusion? Does the paper have a
central argument (thesis) that appears in the introduction and conclusion?
Grammar, punctuation, and style- For example, does the writer use the past tense consistently? See
?additional considerations? below.
Use of the text- Does the paper successfully incorporate specific examples from the book? Do the
examples support the paper?s thesis? Since this is still a relatively short paper, avoid long block
quotes. Be succinct. In addition, avoid long summaries of the book. Your paper should be built
around examples that support your thesis.
You must, however, cite the books to support your claims. In each instance that you draw specific
information from the book, you should insert the page number from which the idea or quote
originated at the end of the sentence.
See description on syllabus
All papers should be double spaced and written in Times New Roman 12
Late Papers: Papers are due in class on the given due date. Computer related problems are not an excuse.
Be prepared for a hard drive/ printer disaster. Back up your work often. Papers turned in after class on the
due date (unexcused) will be docked 5 points (out of 100). Papers will be docked 3 points for every day
they are late with the weekend counting as 1 day. All late papers must be emailed to me.
1. Use the past tense consistently when discussing historical events.
2. Do not use first or second person in your paper. In other words, don?t use the pronouns: I, me, my, you,
your, our, ours, us, etc. So, instead of: ?I think Douglass considered himself to be?.? Just write,
?Douglass considered himself to be?.?
4. Proof-read carefully. Even if your paper has no misspellings, that does not satisfy your need to proofread.
Spell checker will occasionally correct your spelling, but insert a different word than you intended.
5. Do not use contractions. (didn?t should be did not, etc).
6. Your paper should adopt a more formal, authoritative tone. Do not use slang, clich?s, or profanity.
7. Use active, not passive voice.
8. Staple the paper
9. Do not use outside sources (internet, etc.)?Wikipedia is not always the best place to get information
Excerpt From Essay:
Essay Instructions: write a 7 page paper on Frederick Douglass, slave and abolitionist. Include a bibliography with at least 4 sources and follow mla format.
Excerpt From Essay:
Essay Instructions: After reading Nathan Irvin Huggins' Slave and Citizen: The Life of Frederick Douglass, each student is required to choose one of the following sets of questions and write an essay responding to the questions chosen. Essays must have: the student's name; a title based on the student's choice of questions; text equivalent to at least three (3) typed or word processed pages, i.e., printed on one side of a page-- double-spaced; no more than the equivalent of four (4) typed or word processed pages.
An introduction and conclusion that clearly indicate the student's knowledge, analysis and judgment of Slave and Citizen: The Life of Frederick Douglass, based on the chosen set of questions; clear statements, in the body of the essay, that relate to the introduction and conclusion, and include evidence from Slave and Citizen: The Life of Frederick Douglass to support the student's analysis and judgment.
The questions that need to be answered are:
How did Frederick Douglass' personal experiences illustrate 19th century American race relations? Was Douglass' life typical or exceptional? What was his legacy for future generations of Americans?
Excerpt From Essay:
Essay Instructions: Read the book "Kwame Anthony Appiah, ed., Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave/Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl" and write the paper.
Paper Topic : Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass/Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl
Please write essay responding to one of the questions below. Please base your answers on class readings, lectures, AND the book in question.
1. Both narratives are stories of escape and the realization of freedom. In what ways were the experiences of Frederick Douglass made possible because of the author’s gender? Likewise, if you read Incidents, in which ways were Harriet Jacobs’s journey to freedom impeded or enhanced by her gender?
2. Violence and accommodation are themes of both narratives. Discuss the role violence played in either narrative. Likewise, discuss the author’s response to these episodes of violence. Was the response justified, conciliatory, or tantamount to revolt?
Important Guidelines for Content and Format:
1.Your ideas and critical interpretation are important to include for the success of your essay. Do not write a summary or review of information for this assignment.
2.Within the first two sentences, state the subject of your paper. Avoid general and nonspecific introductions.
3.Spelling and grammar count. This means that incorrect grammar and spelling mistakes will be reflected in your grade.
4. Underline book titles. Place essay titles within quotation marks.
5. Provide the name of the author of an essay or book in the same sentence as the first mention of the text.
6. Do not use Wikipedia. Wikipedia is full of incorrect information and is not an acceptable source of information for this course.
7. You need to use either footnotes or endnotes consistently throughout your essay to document your references. (In Microsoft Word: Insert, Footnote, select footnote and AutoNumber and hit OK).
Excerpt From Essay:
I really do appreciate HelpMyEssay.com. I'm not a good writer and the service really gets me going in the right direction. The staff gets back to me quickly with any concerns that I might have and they are always on time.
I have had all positive experiences with HelpMyEssay.com. I will recommend your service to everyone I know. Thank you!
I am finished with school thanks to HelpMyEssay.com. They really did help me graduate college..