must use the book: Narrative of Frederick Douglass
. Beford St. Martin?s Press
Paper Length: 4 pages
Write a paper answering the questions in one of the following topics below. You must choose one of the
specific topics listed below and answer the respective questions using examples from the Douglass
Choose ONE of the following topics:
? Views on Humanity and Slavery. Douglass
maintains that slavery dehumanized
both the slave and slaveholder. Using the Douglass
book, support his statement or disagree with
defines freedom as more than escape from the slaveholders. What is freedom
according to Douglass
and how does he achieve it?
2. Manhood and violence. How does the concept of manhood factor into the Douglass
autobiography? What effect does slavery have on his desire to achieve manhood? What role, if
any, does violence play in his life? Is there a connection between violence and manhood in his
You will be graded on:
Organization- Does the paper have an introduction, body, and conclusion? Does the paper have a
central argument (thesis) that appears in the introduction and conclusion?
Grammar, punctuation, and style- For example, does the writer use the past tense consistently? See
?additional considerations? below.
Use of the text- Does the paper successfully incorporate specific examples from the book? Do the
examples support the paper?s thesis? Since this is still a relatively short paper, avoid long block
quotes. Be succinct. In addition, avoid long summaries of the book. Your paper should be built
around examples that support your thesis.
You must, however, cite the books to support your claims. In each instance that you draw specific
information from the book, you should insert the page number from which the idea or quote
originated at the end of the sentence.
See description on syllabus
All papers should be double spaced and written in Times New Roman 12
Late Papers: Papers are due in class on the given due date. Computer related problems are not an excuse.
Be prepared for a hard drive/ printer disaster. Back up your work often. Papers turned in after class on the
due date (unexcused) will be docked 5 points (out of 100). Papers will be docked 3 points for every day
they are late with the weekend counting as 1 day. All late papers must be emailed to me.
1. Use the past tense consistently when discussing historical events.
2. Do not use first or second person in your paper. In other words, don?t use the pronouns: I, me, my, you,
your, our, ours, us, etc. So, instead of: ?I think Douglass
considered himself to be?.? Just write,
considered himself to be?.?
4. Proof-read carefully. Even if your paper has no misspellings, that does not satisfy your need to proofread.
Spell checker will occasionally correct your spelling, but insert a different word than you intended.
5. Do not use contractions. (didn?t should be did not, etc).
6. Your paper should adopt a more formal, authoritative tone. Do not use slang, clich?s, or profanity.
7. Use active, not passive voice.
8. Staple the paper
9. Do not use outside sources (internet, etc.)?Wikipedia is not always the best place to get information
[ Order Custom Essay ]
[ View Full Essay ]