Paper Topic : Eric Larson, The Devil
in the White City
Please write a essay responding to the questions below. Please base your answers on class readings, lectures, AND the book in question.
What is the total picture of late nineteenth-century America that emerges from The Devil
in the White City
? How is that time both like and unlike contemporary America? What are the most significant differences? In what ways does that time mirror the present? Does this work reveal anything about gender roles in the nineteenth century?
Important Guidelines for Content and Format:
(1) Title your essay appropriately. Type your essay title, name, and class identification information on a separate title page. Do not repeat this information.
(2) Your ideas and critical interpretation are important to include for the success of your essay. Do not write a summary or review of information for this assignment.
(3) Within the first two sentences, state the subject of your paper. Avoid general and nonspecific introductions.
(4) Spelling and grammar count. This means that incorrect grammar and spelling mistakes will be reflected in your grade.
(5) Underline book titles. Place essay titles within quotation marks.
(6) Provide the name of the author of an essay or book in the same sentence as the first mention of the text.
(7) Do not use Wikipedia. Wikipedia is full of incorrect information and is not an acceptable source of information for this course.
(8) You need to use either footnotes or endnotes consistently throughout your essay to document your references. (In Microsoft Word: Insert, Footnote, select footnote and AutoNumber and hit OK).
[ Order Custom Essay ]
[ View Full Essay ]
Larson, Erik. The Devil in the White City. New York: Vintage Books, 2003.
Kuhnhenn, Jim. "Palin says Obama 'Palling around with terrorists'." The Huffington
Post, October 4, 2009. Retrieved March 3, 2009, at http://www.huffingtonpost.com.
Traxel, David. "A Real-Life Bates Motel." The New York Times 9 Mar. 2003. Retrieved March 4, 2009, at http://query.nytimes.com.
David Traxel, "A Real-Life Bates Hotel," the New York Times, March 9, 2003.
Erik Larson, the Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America (New York: Vantage Books, 2003).
Jim Kuhnhenn, "Palin says Obama 'Palling around' with terrorists." Huffington Post, October 4, 2008.