Total Pages: 2 Words: 483 References: 2 Citation Style: APA Document Type: Essay
Essay Instructions: For this assignment, you will create a costume or scenic design research proposal for a classic Shakespearean play of your choosing. In addition to images, you must also include a written account of your decision process. For this assignment, you may use photographs of celebrities and of clothing/architecture/interior design from contemporary magazines and web sites.
As you design concepts for costumes or a set, you should note the reasoning behind your choices. Be able to tell me why you cast the play as you did. For example, which Hollywood actors would be effective as the king and his three daughters in King Lear? Describe for me how you understand your actors' characteristics in relation to their stage characters. How should they be dressed? Or what rooms/set would they be in? Explain your design choices and how they add to and support the stage characters.
Select a play from William Shakespeare's Plays for your assignment. Include your selection's title in your work.
For examples and inspiration, view the Costume Designers Guild's Illustrators Gallery or other theatrical design websites.
With your costume or set design concept, you will include an explanation of your design, stating why you cast your play as you did and how your design supports the play. I expect you to be able to combine your images and your written account into one document. To accomplish this, consider the following applications::
?Word, or comparable word processing application
?PowerPoint, or other presentation applications
?InDesign, or other desktop publishing applications
While these are not exhaustive lists of applications you can use, it should provide you with enough direction so that you can select applications that work best for you.
Please follow these assignment submission specifications:
1.Format your assignment according to these specifications: ?Three to five pages in length
?Times New Roman, 12-point font
?Double-spaced with one-inch margins
?MLA citations for quoting and paraphrasing. You can refer to Purdue OWL's MLA formatting and style guide to assist you.
Excerpt From Essay:
Essay Instructions: I have the sources for this paper.
Documented historical and critical analysis of costume design in previous Othello productions. Previous productions must include movies, stage plays, Elliot Goldenthal's ballet, and Verdi's opera. It is imperative that close attention be payed to historical period, design style, use of costuming materials, and overall design feel. THIS PAPER MUST BE ORIGINAL!! Please choose at least two of each genre (movie, Shakespeare play, and Verdi Opera). Also, please include the Elliot Goldenthal ballet by the San Francisco Ballet. The paper doesn't need to discuss what happens in the play Othello. It needs to discuss the costumes ONLY. Your writer may choose which two Othello movies, two Othello play productions, two Otello Verdi Opera productions (one of them being the English National Opera conducted by Mark Elder), and the San Francisco Ballet production by Elliot Goldenthal. There needs to be less anecdotal stories and more critical analysis of the costumes for each of the chosen productions. This paper is about COSTUMES ONLY. It should be already assumed that the reader is familiar with the storyline of Othello. Although a mention of other named productions (ie. LaTraviata, Falstaff) adds flavor, it should be a brief mention only and then back to the critical analysis of the costuming. If information about the fabrics used, debates over color choices, period style, or anything in that arena is available, please mention it. This paper is for a costume design project and it's central theme should be a "documented historical and critical analysis of costume design in previous Othello productions." It should have an almost scientific voice in it's discussion, paring, and contrasting of costumes.
Excerpt From Essay:
Essay Instructions: Analyze the use of costumes in the film Psycho by Alfred Hitchcock. You must develop a develop a thesis; take a point of view on your topic and use evidence to support your view. Thesis must be in first paragraph.
Excerpt From Essay:
Essay Instructions: Heres the play: http://shakespeare.mit.edu/midsummer/full.html
- Were the actors believable (Acting was Average at best, lots of mistakes in lines, and timings)
- Identify the performers you considered most successful. (Hermia, did her role very well and was believable)
- f there were performers you did not like, identify them and explain why you did not like them. (Lysander) did not stick to the play as he should
- Discuss how the performers re¬lated or failed to relate to one another. Did they listen to each other and respond?
- The director unifies a production and frequently provides an interpretation of the text. Did there seem to be a unifying idea behind the production? If so, how would you express it?
COSTUMES (Costumes were good enough, given the low budget)
- What information was conveyed by the costumes about time, place, characters, and situation? What was the period of the costumes? What was the style? How were color and texture used to give you clues to the personalities of the characters? Did each character's costume or costumes seem appropriate for his or her personality, social status, occupation, etc.?
LIGHTING (not too much lighting)
- Describe the mood of the lighting. How was color and intensity used to affect mood? What other characteristics of light were used to affect mood? Was the lighting appropriate for the mood of each scene? Why or why not? Also, was the lighting realistic or nonrealistic? Were the actors properly lit? Could their faces be seen? Were light changes made slowly or quickly? How did this affect the play? Did it seem right for the play?
-What was the text about? What was the author of the text trying to communicate to the audience? conflict seem to embody the meaning of the text?
-What were the major desires, goals, objectives, and motivations of the leading characters?
Excerpt From Essay:
I really do appreciate HelpMyEssay.com. I'm not a good writer and the service really gets me going in the right direction. The staff gets back to me quickly with any concerns that I might have and they are always on time.
I have had all positive experiences with HelpMyEssay.com. I will recommend your service to everyone I know. Thank you!
I am finished with school thanks to HelpMyEssay.com. They really did help me graduate college..