Essay Instructions: # 3. Individual Paper Application and Integration of AACN Synergy Care model in Clinical Practice ? 30% (Adapted from Fawcett, 2005). Please see Grading Rubrics at the end of this syllabus.
Each student will select a nursing practice relevant model or a nursing model developed by one of the nurse theorists. Identify the compatibility of the model with your philosophy of nursing practice. In assisting you to obtain information for the development of your paper, include use of primary resources (up-to-date articles and books written by the theorist), secondary sources, research articles, and clinical practice articles. Excellent resources are the journals; Advances in Nursing Science, Image, and Nursing Science Quarterly. Use the following criteria to guide the development of your nursing models paper. This Paper should be 8 - 10 pages of content excluding figure and reference pages. I will stop grading after the 8-10 pages on content.
1. Provide a synopsis of the theory?s background. What is the historical evolution of the model? What motivated development of the model? On what philosophical beliefs and values about nursing is the model based? What strategies for knowledge development were used to formulate the model? What scholars influenced the model author?s thinking?
2. What is the unique focus of the model?
3. Present an organized overview of the model and its major concepts, including definitions of key terms and major concepts. How are human beings defined and described? How is environment defined and described? How is health defined? How are wellness and illness differentiated? How is nursing defined? What is the goal of nursing? How is nursing practice described? What statements are made about the relations among the four metaparadigm concepts?
4. What theories have been generated from the model? What is the overall contribution of the model to the discipline of nursing? To what extent is the model actually used to guide nursing practice and research? Identify the strengths and weaknesses of the model for nursing practice.
5. Summarize at least one clinical or research study that has tested an aspect of the model or used this model as a conceptual framework.
6. Apply the domains of the model in the real world of nursing practice. Discuss theory-based nursing practice using the model for a chosen patient population. Include QSEN Competencies.
Discuss the application of the model in addressing the priority in patient care in the organizations and work environment, and the potential integration with useful leadership principles to improve patient outcomes.
I am attaching a list of potential references (the references cannot be older than 5 yrs)
(2012). AACN Synergy Model. Retrieved from http://nursing-theory.org/AACN-synergy-model.php
(2012). Retrieved from http://nurisingtheories.info/Virginia-henderson-theory-of-nursing-14-basic-needs
Alligood, M.R., & Mariner Tomey, A. (2010). Nursing Theorists of Historical Significance. In Y. Alexopulos, & H. Bays (Eds.), Nursing Theorists and Their Work (7th ed., p. 56). Maryland Heights, MO: Mosby Elsevier.
American Association of Critical Care Nurses. (2012). The AACN Synergy Model for Patient Care. Retrieved from http://www.aacn.org/WD/Certifications/Docs/SynergyModelforPatientCare.pdf
Four Basic Metapardigm Concepts in Nursing. (2012). Retrieved from http://www.ehow.com/list_6106429_four-basic-metaparadigm-concepts-nursing.html
Gomez, N. J. (Ed.). (2012). Advanced Practice in Nephrology Nursing. Nephrology Nursing: Scope and Standards of Practice. (7th ed., p.3). Pitman, New Jersey: American Nephrology Nurses? Association.
Hardin, S. R., & Kaplow, R. (2005). Introduction to the AACN Synergy Model for Patient Care. In Sullivan, K., & Sekerak, R. (Eds.), Synergy for Clinical Excellence: The AACN Synergy Model for Patient Care. (pp. 3-10). Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett.
Kaplow, R., & Reed, K. D. (2008, January-February). The AACN Synergy Model for Patient Care: A Nursing Model as a Force of Magnetism. Nursing Economics, Vol. 26(1), 17-25.
Synergy Model. (2012). Retrieved from http://nursing-theory.org/articles/AACN-synergy-model.php
Excerpt From Essay:
Essay Instructions: Objectives:
724.8.3-01: Recognize appropriate sources of evidence for nursing practice.
724.8.3-02: Describe ethical principles applicable to a given research task in evidence-based practice.
724.8.3-03: Classify specified clinical knowledge elements as primary research evidence, evidence summary, or evidence-based guideline.
724.8.3-04: Apply specified evidence-based clinical practice guidelines to determine appropriate care in a given situation.
724.8.3-05: Apply specified research findings to improve nursing practice in a given situation.
Recent clinical guidelines suggest that watchful waiting is better than immediately beginning treatment with antibiotics when a child presents with otitis media. A group of nurses in the outpatient clinic decide to use evidence-based research for this practice to help them understand whether this is the appropriate care for the children they see. If they find it is grounded in the research, they will suggest a change in the clinical policy guidelines. They are aware that this policy may be a concern for parents who are used to getting antibiotics immediately when they bring their children to the clinics.
The nurses brought the following sources of evidence to their first meeting:
? American Academy of Pediatrics and American Academy of Family Physicians. (2004.) Clinical practice guideline: Diagnosis and management of acute otitis media. Retrieved May 17, 2008, from http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;113/5/1451 ? Block, S. L. (1997). Causative pathogens, antibiotic resistance and therapeutic considerations in acute otitis media. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, 16, 449?456. ? Kelley, P. E., Friedman, N., Johnson, C. (2007). Ear, nose, and throat. In W. W. Hay, M. J. Levin, J. M. Sondheimer, & R. R. Deterding (Eds.), Current pediatric diagnosis and treatment (18th ed., pp. 459?492). New York: Lange Medical Books/McGraw-Hill. ? McCracken, G. H. (1998). Treatment of acute otitis media in an era of increasing microbial resistance. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, 17, 576?579. ? Results from interviews with parents who have brought their children into the clinic for acute otitis media.
A. Review the sources of evidence listed above and do the following:
1. Classify the type of each source of evidence as either a general information resource, a filtered resource, or an unfiltered resource.
2. Discuss whether each source of evidence is appropriate for this nursing practice situation.
3. Classify each source of evidence as primary research evidence, evidence summary, evidence-based guideline, or none of these.
B. Review the article (see ?Clinical Practice Guideline? attached below) and do the following:
1. Discuss whether watchful waiting is an appropriate approach for treating children with acute otitis media, based on the evidence presented in the article.
C. Discuss how you would apply the findings in the attached article to improve nursing practice in the clinic.
D. Discuss ethical issues that could arise in researching and changing clinical practice guidelines, based on the evidence-based research.
1. Include issues of vulnerable populations, confidentiality, and informed consent when research involves children.
Excerpt From Essay:
Total Pages: 8 Words: 2080 Sources: 5 Citation Style: APA Document Type: Essay
Essay Instructions: Critically appraise the quality of evidence from 'Rickard, C.M., Webster, J., Wallis, M.C., Marsh, N., McGrail, M.R., French, V., Foster, L., Gallagher, P., Gowardman, J.R., Zhang, L., McClymont, A., & Whitby, M. (2012). Routine versus clinically indicated replacement of peripheral intravenous catheters: a randomised controlled equivalence trial. Lancet, 380, 1066-1074. The critique should focus on the methodology, results, implications for clinical practice and further research. Use the structured format for critique provided on the vUWS site as a guide for the essay. Please choose the correct critique check list (eg. Schulz, K. F., Altman, D. G., & Moher, D. (2010). CONSORT 2010 Statement: updated guidelines for reporting parallel group randomized trials. Open Medicine, 4(1):E60.) for the research design of the study being evaluated.
Excerpt From Essay:
Total Pages: 8 Words: 2227 References: 15 Citation Style: MLA Document Type: Research Paper
Essay Instructions: Guidelines for Leadership & Management
BSC level Word Count 2,000 + / - 10%
Title ( Patient on ventilator and the usage of saline in performing suctioning )
Leading and managing a change in clinical practice
You must select a clinical problem that you have observed in clinical practice, that requires change to impact on patient care. The problem must be described and explained in a succinct manner, referring to the literature. The reader needs to know why change is required.
Managing the change: Describe your vision for the benefits the change will make for patients/patients and their families. Explain the practices that need to be changed to overcome the problem. Using the fundamental theoretical concepts and principles underpinning the management of change, make a proposal that explains how the change will be proposed to clinical staff.
Your leadership: Introduce and explain one model of leadership referring to leadership theory, principles and behaviour. Show how you will use your leadership to motivate stakeholders and the team to introduce the change you have proposed.
You need to discuss a model of change management and to identify how you propose to implement this change in practice mentioning any barriers you perceive to this change and how to overcome them.
Conclusion and recommendations
Excerpt From Essay:
I really do appreciate HelpMyEssay.com. I'm not a good writer and the service really gets me going in the right direction. The staff gets back to me quickly with any concerns that I might have and they are always on time.
I have had all positive experiences with HelpMyEssay.com. I will recommend your service to everyone I know. Thank you!
I am finished with school thanks to HelpMyEssay.com. They really did help me graduate college..