Total Pages: 5 Words: 1623 References: 5 Citation Style: APA Document Type: Essay
Essay Instructions: You are to complete an assignment of 1500 words (+/- 10%), describing a biochemical method used by researchers to study one of following topics listed below.
You may choose one of the following two topics:
1. Characterisation of any protein encoded by the Dengue virus
2. Characterisation of the peptide glucagon
There are two parts to assignment:
Part A ? Use databases to identify three (3) journal articles that describes the use of a biochemical method to research one of the above listed topics. There are five tasks associated with Part A (see below) and is worth 3 marks. This section should be approx. 500 words.
Your task for Part A is to use an online database to identify three (3) different journal articles, each no more than 5 years old, describing research on your chosen topics and complete tasks 1-5 below. The tasks for part A can be listed in dot form - you do not need to structure this part in essay format.
Tasks for Part A:
1. Look at the list of databases available to CSU students and decide which may have relevant articles. Describe why you chose those particular databases.
2. List the types of keywords you used in the database to search for your articles
3. Describe the search strategy you used to link your keywords to find appropriate journals. For example: ?insulin? AND 'ELISA'
4. Once you have chosen your three research articles, list the citations using APA referencing.
5. Determine whether the articles are available in print or an electronic copy. To do this, follow the advice on the CSU library web page entitled 'To find a journal or article'. The SmartSearch option is particularly useful and easy to use, when searching for electronic copies of articles. If one or more of the articles you have identified is not available in any form (print or online), you will need to perform additional database searches to identify three (3)
articles which are available.
To complete part B, you will now need to access the full text of these three (3) articles. If the article you want is only available in print, you will need to visit the library and photocopy the article.
Instructions: Part B - Write an essay describing a biochemical method that was used in one of the research articles. Part B is worth 12 marks and should be approximately 1000 words.
Using the journal articles you located in Part A, together with other texts or journal articles you may locate, write an essay describing how scientists have used a particular biochemical method to discover something new within their field of interest. You are required to include in your essay:
1. Introduction- Use the journal articles and other resources you have found to help you write a general introduction about the topic (approx 150 words).
2. Description of an experimental method - now look at the 'materials and methods' section of these journal articles and choose a single biochemical method used in one of the articles. Explain how this method works generally, and then how it was used in that particular study to better understand the topic of interest. Experimental methods
commonly used may include (but are not limited to):
> Western/Southern/Northern Blot analysis, including electrophoresis
> Enzyme assays etc - do not just regurgitate details given in the article. You will need to demonstrate understanding of how the method works. For example, you could describe how electrophoresis works, or what is involved in an enzyme assay. You may find biochemistry textbooks give you additional support in writing this part of your essay. This is the major focus of the assignment and therefore should be approximately 600 words in length.
3. Results. Summarise what key measurements were obtained using the method. For example, an author may have used an enzyme assay to determine the Km or Vmax of a given enzyme. Approx 100 word length for this section would be appropriate.
4. Discussion. Summarise how the results obtained helped to further understanding in that area of research. Approx 100 words.
5. Reference list- Ensure you follow the APA referencing system exactly, particularly with regard to how you format different resources in the reference list and how you format your in-text citations. (see http://www.csu.edu.au/division/studserv/learning/pdfs/apa.pdf). This section does not count towards the word count.
Biochemistry is an experimental science. This assignment is designed for you to collect and synthesise information on the experimental tools of biochemistry. This assignment is also designed to help further develop your information literacy skills.
Part A (/3)
> Demonstrated use of databases / appropriate keywords, strategy (1)
> At least 3 peer reviewed journals used and appropriately referenced (1)
> Determined whether articles are in print / electronic form (1)
Part B (/12)
> Assignment is an appropriate length and formatting adhered to (1)
> Use of effective writing (good grammar, spelling, coherent writing, clear explanations, paragraphs used in a clear way to support reading comprehension, absence of typographical errors, correct capitalisation, correct use of quotations). (1)
> Ability to address the assigned topic (Comprehensive and concise coverage of topic - details indicate the topic was sufficiently researched & quality information is presented & is free of factual error and irrelevant material).(2)
> Logical flow of information. (Introduction, main body text, final conclusion, appropriate use of sub-headings, inclusion of relevant and labelled figures and tables, logical progression of information presented) (2)
> Shows understanding of the experimental technique used in the literature (5)
> Referencing (1)
Excerpt From Essay:
Essay Instructions: Jack Gilbert is a professional jockey and has to carefully monitor his weight.
However, there is nothing Jack likes better than to go to the local pub and drink beer
with his mates on a Saturday night. Usually, Jack would follow his Saturday night
drinking session with a very meagre diet and a strenuous exercise routine for the rest
of the week in order to lose the extra weight in time for his race the following
Saturday. However, this weekend is different. Jack gets an unexpected phone call.
Another jockey cannot ride on Sunday and Jack is to ride in his place. Jack weighs
himself and he needs to lose 2-3 kg of excess weight overnight. Jack has recently
gone online and found that there are online pharmacies that sell rapid weight loss
medications without the need for a prescription. Several months ago Jack had ordered
several weight loss medications. Jack took several capsules of a medication called
“Total Diet-bolic” without checking the recommended dosage.
Total Diet-bolic capsules
Jack started sweating profusely and felt ill. His muscles started to ache. Within an
hour Jack collapsed. One of Jack’s mates called an ambulance and Jack was rushed to
hospital. On arrival, Jack presented with rapid pulse and breathing and his body feels
extremely hot - it seems almost as if he is burning.
Research this case. Try to work out the cause of Jack’s condition and the underlying
biochemical pathways affected (clue: focus on intracellular compartments known as
mitochondria). Describe tests you would perform on Jack. Describe the results of the
tests and what they mean. Read any medical or pharmacy articles you can find that
may be relevant to this case. Then, once you have completed your literature research
write a case report of 5 pages (this limits excludes any figures, tables, and
references) outlining the background to this case, the clinical features, the tests
performed, the results obtained, and the biochemical basis for Jack’s condition. Also
suggest ways that his condition may be treated or at least managed. Include full
referencing in the text and include a list of cited references (cross referenced to the
text citations) at the end.
Excerpt From Essay:
Essay Instructions: Using the ABCD's of nutritional assessment (Anthropometry, Biochemical, Clinical Examination, Dietary Assessment) create a case study on Crohn's Disease on an actual or made-up client or patient and include the following:
Anthropometrics, relevant biochemical tests, clinical assessment, and dietary intake analysis
Be sure to include a list of common medications that may be used to treat your patient's condition and identify potential herb/nutrient/drug interactions that may be relevant
Identify you client's cultural background and give clues as to their socioeconomic status and psycho-social variables. (For example you patient may be a senior living alone on a fixed income or living in a nursing home facility with reputed staff)
Excerpt From Essay:
Essay Instructions: In this paper, I desire a thorough review of the litertute on the subject of lead poisoning from original research, review articles and books (no internet sources).
Please briefly review the history of lead poisoning,why Pb has been used so extensively, why it continued to be used even though it was known to be poisonous for a long time, the epideniology, the magnitude of the problem now in the usa and abroad particularly for children, the pathophysiology and biochemical basis of lead poisoning in children and adults (most important), and close with recommendations needed to stop lead poisoning from being a public health hazard in the usa and abroad.
written report 8-10 pages
introduction 20 points - ideas pertaining to topic, purpose, etc.
text 20 points - literature review including definitions, sources, hazards, diagnosis, etc.
summary and conclusions 20 points - include public health implications, regulations, recommendations, etc.
bibliography 20 points - be arranged according to graduate college manual
total written report 80 points
Excerpt From Essay:
I really do appreciate HelpMyEssay.com. I'm not a good writer and the service really gets me going in the right direction. The staff gets back to me quickly with any concerns that I might have and they are always on time.
I have had all positive experiences with HelpMyEssay.com. I will recommend your service to everyone I know. Thank you!
I am finished with school thanks to HelpMyEssay.com. They really did help me graduate college..