Each subject must be address adequately
1. What are the influences and events that caused Abstract Expressionism to develop? What are the two modes of Abstract Expressionism? Compare and contrast these two modes and specially discuss the work of two artists
from each mode. Share why you chose these four artist
2. What are the key points Clement Greenberg made in his essay, "Modernist Painting"? How did he arrive at his conclusions regarding art painting? Which philosopher was an influence on his thinking and why? Do you feel he is correct in his views? Please explain your point of view...
3. What is Existentialism and why is it a dominant theme among Post-War European artists
? Choose four different movements/types of Post-War Art and describe each. Mention how Existentialism may relate to each of these groups. Give an example of one artist
from each group and briefly characterize their work. Lastly, compare and contrast Abstract Expressionism with Post-War European Art. Overall, do you prefer the American Art of European Art? Why?
4. Compare and contrast Neo-Dada, Nouveau Realisme and Pop Art. Eplain the origins of each. Mention two artists
from each group and briefly describe their work. Choose a favorite work of art from one artist
and explain what is appealing about it to you..
5. Discuss art being made in California in the 1950s and 1960s...Choose two artists
to compare and contrast with two New York artists
or European artists
of the same time period. If you were alive then and working as an artist
, where would you choose to work: California, New York or Europe. Please explain your reasoning.
6. Compare and contrast Post Painterly Abstraction of the 1960s with Abstract Expressionism. In your estimation, were these artists
continuing the development of Abstract Expressionism or were they moving on to new ideas? Explain your answer. Be sure to discuss specific artists
and analyze their works.
7. What are the two types of art experience Michael Fried discuss in his essay, "Art & Objecthood"? Which one does he favor, and why? What does Fried call Minimalism? Why? Give examples of three specific works by three Minimal artists
and explain how Fried might view these works versus the way the artist
might view the work. Do you accept Fried claims about art? Why or why not.
Each answer will be about one page long. Quotations will be at a bare minimum.
[ Order Custom Essay ]