GUIDELINES Please select, read, summarize and evaluate a journal article
, written since 2005, and provide a 4 page critique
of the article
chosen. The critique
should demonstrate significant understanding and knowledge of a topic on English language development and assessment, as per course discussions, such as: history, legal foundations, policy and or program models and their application to classroom practice (NCATE 5). If not using an article
from the bibliography, please attach a copy of the article
to your paper. In addition to the bibliography, in searching for articles
, you may use the following sources: TESOL Journal, TESOL Quarterly, Language Learning, Second Language Research, Studies in Second Language Acquisition, Educational Leadership, Journal of Research in Childhood Education, The Journal of Special Education, The Journal of Educational Issues of Language Minority Students, and the CAL and NABE publications. At a minimum, your paper should include the following:
1. Title Page - Article
title, author and bibliographic information, as well as personal info. 5 pts.
synopsis (Summary) - Synopsis of article
reviewed ??" to include 15 pts. a. A summary of the article
??" includes an introduction which effectively orients the reader to the topic. b. Topic Relevance & Development of ideas - the extent to which ideas are elaborated through the use of specific, accurate, and relevant evidence ??" why did you choose to critique
this particular article
? c. Content & Meaning - the extent to which the paper exhibits sound understanding, interpretation, and analysis of the task.
3. What is the author’s point of view? 40 pts. a. What are the implications of this point of view for classroom instruction? b. Are these ideas/strategies feasible for your particular, or perspective classroom? c. Can you adapt, alter, or incorporate any of the author’s ideas and/or strategies to benefit your students? d. What adaptations would you make? e. Make sure that your ideas are supported by cited sources. All written work must be written in your own words. If you quote someone, be sure to cite the source.
4. Conclusion 10 pts. a. What connections can you make between this article
and the topics that have been discussed in class, if any and why? b. If you are teaching, relate your new knowledge to your public school experience.
5. Bibliography??" Critique
should include sources you’ve consulted to support your position - All reviews must provide an alphabetized bibliography, on a separate page, which must include at least two book sources that you’ve consulted and that are cited in the narrative of your critique
. 5 pts.
6. Language Use & Mechanics ??" the essay is written informal academic register, exhibits conventional spelling, sentence structure, punctuation, paragraphing, capitalization, grammar, and appropriate language usage. 10 pts.
7. Organization - the extent to which the paper exhibits direction, shape, and coherence in 10 pts. overall development & organization.
8. Format - Compose your response in the APA style, printed on 8-1/2 x 11" paper, double 5 pts. spaced, left justified, with 1”margins on all four sides of the paper, using dark color, 12 pt standard type, like Arial or Calibri (do not use fancy script types). Maximum length is 6 pages (NO exceptions).
[ Order Custom Essay ]
[ View Full Essay ]